Hillard Flame Clutch

^ ...or straight blade screwdriver - spread the spring ends just enough to slide them on the shoes by twisting the screwdriver 90* between the ends.
Tap them the rest of the way in with a small ballpein hammer.
To remove them, grab the springs with a good pair of big needle nose pliers.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Im new to shoe clutches. Can someone tell me the difference between all the Hilliard models?

I recently bought a Predator with a Hilliard and a Bully conversion. Seems there are many tuning options. How do I know exactly what clutch I have?

I took a cold chisel and made it into a wedge to spread the springs open. Grind the pointy end of a chisel down until it spreads the springs open enough to slide on the shoes. Set the spring on the bench and push the chisel into the gap of the spring to spread it open, then tap the spring onto the shoes with a hammer. It might take some playing around to get the chisel ground to the right length, but it works really slick once you do.

I took a cold chisel and made it into a wedge to spread the springs open. Grind the pointy end of a chisel down until it spreads the springs open enough to slide on the shoes. Set the spring on the bench and push the chisel into the gap of the spring to spread it open, then tap the spring onto the shoes with a hammer. It might take some playing around to get the chisel ground to the right length, but it works really slick once you do.
Or use a good pair of snap ring pliers, not HF, and change springs with no effort in seconds.

Back