Homemade chassis build

kartkevin39

Hiw difficult is it to build your own chassis? What all would you need? Measurements and rules? Places that build frames based lff of your design? Just a fun thought. Would be cool to have my own.

Hiw difficult is it to build your own chassis? What all would you need? Measurements and rules? Places that build frames based lff of your design? Just a fun thought. Would be cool to have my own.
Depending on what equipment you have, it can get expensive. You're going to need a welder, a tube bender, a bandsaw, a milling machine and lots of skill at operating all that equipment. Of course you can get a lot of it done out. You'll need design software to illustrate what you need. Oh, and by the way, you will need to know what you need. I did it, I suppose anybody could.

Thanks for the reply! I know it would take a lot of time and all but I know some guys who can help with bending and welding. But seems like it would be rewarding in a way to at least do it once.

Tubing bender, jig, welder, fabrication skills. It is alot harder than some people say but it can be done. After what you will spend on design time and materials it would be easier to just have bought one.

I too thought it was a cool concept once till i weighed the options and it wouldve cost more in the long run.

The little things will be what nickel and dime yiu to death. Steering, how adjustable will it be is another factor in cost. What will you use for replacements if something breaks.

Not knocking you or your skills but imho it isnt worth it with what karters have available on the market now.

Tubing bender, jig, welder, fabrication skills. It is alot harder than some people say but it can be done. After what you will spend on design time and materials it would be easier to just have bought one.

I too thought it was a cool concept once till i weighed the options and it wouldve cost more in the long run.

The little things will be what nickel and dime yiu to death. Steering, how adjustable will it be is another factor in cost. What will you use for replacements if something breaks.

Not knocking you or your skills but imho it isnt worth it with what karters have available on the market now.
No man all good. This is what the forum is for and why i ask

Allmost everything is avalible easy enough .
Tubing same thing . its all pay to play .
Knock off you could do simply , your own design a bit harder .
Get a WKA rule book all the details are laid out in that .

Last edited:
When you look at a frame you tend to see just a few tubes with bends and think "Hey, I can do that." But look again at all the little pieces you'll have to fabricate and think of the holding fixtures for welding alignment. It's a daunting task even if you have all the equipment but once you go through it, it will be easier the second time.

Sundog

Oval chassis are pre loaded with a bow along the bottom, which can only be accomplished 1 way, the first one is the most expensive, the second is hard to replicate the first, I can show you thousands of dollars in scrap chassis that didnt work as planned

Back