Honda 160 now smoking bad

David Wulf

Like it says my 160 is smoking bad . Its on a rupp minibike and sits tilted like 14 degrees . Somehow my friend checked the oil and said it was empty ( just put it back together for final testing before paint ) .

I should have checked it myself but didn't . So it was run with 32 oz's of oil for one pass down the street brought in garage and had oil coming from valve cover and catch can was full . Sense then she smokes bad while idling and when you first hit it then clears up for the most part . Motor has never smoked since built and has maybe two hours on it .

Mods
black mamba
stainless valves
champion rockers
Honda flat top
chromo push rods
26# springs
14cc head milled right much . i know i sanded it
arc rod
pvl flywheel

Could to much oil have damaged the rings or the valve train ?

Last edited:
I do not believe that too much oil damages rings, but you definitely had blow-by. Sound like it past the rings into the head. It should eventually burn off.

It will clear up. Just needs some run time to flush out all the excess that was in there. Set it up on a stand and turn the rpm up just a little above idle and let her run for about 30 minutes or so. Every now and then go by and rap the throttle a little. You have a lot of oil on top of the piston.

Thanks guys for the help . I have 14oz's in her now and will pull the clutch and let her run some tomorrow .

Put 20oz in, put 10-15 minutes on the bike and see how many ounces are in the catch can when done, subtract that from 20oz and run that much from there forth. With the leaning and potential uphill/downhill the bike may see I'd want as much oil as I can keep in the engine.

I would pull the head back off and clean up the combustion chamber and top of the piston and the bottom of the valves, then reinstall the head and replace the spark plug. Once you do that, it wont smoke at all and you arent putting any un-neccesary wear and tear on the engine by leaving it running while it burns off the excess oil like others have advised you to do. You could do what they said, but what i just mentioned is the proper way to fix your problem and assure you dont have any more issues with it again. Oil does not belong in the combustion chamber or on top of the piston, period. Do what was said above about putting 20 oz of oil in it and running your engine for awhile then check what is in the catch can and subtract that from what you put in it to begin with, and that is how much oil you need to run in it. I would go with 16 ounces since you are going to be leaning on the bike and you want to make sure to keep plenty of oil in the bottom end. Another thing to do since you arent racing and dont have rules, would be to drill or ream out the oil return hole between the lifters as much as you can so that plenty of oil can return to the bottom end as easy and quick as possible to prevent lubrication problems with the crank and rod. The reason i said to use 16 oz of oil is because its easy to measure out that amount when you go to change the oil, since 16 oz is half a quart, rather than having to get out a measuring funnel or cup and measure out 14 or 18 or 20 or however much you run. 16 ounces would be plenty for a minibike, i used to have one with close to the same mods but mine was mounted at 15 degrees instead of 14, and 16 was more than enough but i felt safer having a little extra. more is always better than less when it comes to oil.

I never had a problem in my many years of running an engine that was accidentally tipped upside down and got oil in the head with running it until the oil was gone. After all, isn't it a lubricating agent? At most, there will be a small build up of carbon but depending on where the cc is, it could help.

Put 20oz in, put 10-15 minutes on the bike and see how many ounces are in the catch can when done, subtract that from 20oz and run that much from there forth. With the leaning and potential uphill/downhill the bike may see I'd want as much oil as I can keep in the engine.
I believe there is a 'catch-22' w/ oil level in that (obviously) 'too-little' is NOT good, but...'too-much' is Not good also to the point of aerating the oil 'too-much' via excitement from the cam gear whereby (stated by others as well) the aeration/foaming of the oil can take out bearings/bushing just as badly as can sandpaper. JMO

These engine depend upon aeration of the oil, all quality oil have anti foaming agents to keep it at a level where the oil can maintain it's lubricity. These being non pressurized depend upon the movement of misted oil to lubricate the internals. These engines are designed for .63 US Quart capacity, 20 Fl oz. then this is tipped 14-15* that is moving the oil away from the cam gear. This engine on a mini bike will benefit from more oil than a racing go kart.

Screamin, I understand and I did have foaming problems with one oil, but the Maxima 4T I use is not only high in zinc it's got great anti-foaming properties as it's designed for high rpm 4-stroke motorcycle engines.
Not only that, but as I've said before we have this turn-short straight-sweeper-hairpin on our track all taken as one long high G-force RH turn and our rods were going dry here with 16oz. On the mini-bike 16oz is probably fine as long as he's not going to attend a Mini-moto on it or something.

Back