Honda GX340

roadster

I just got my gx340 running. I have a 32 roadster parade car. All new aftermarket air filter, header exhaust with RLV muffler, 2 degree advance timing key and have drilled the main jet to .042. I am unable to get motor to idle and will only stay running under full choke. Do I need to go larger on the main jet?

I would never have changed the factory key or drilled the jet if it is required to idle well. I do not recall if the jet is replaceable. If not, replace the carb.

I still have the factory key, and the jet is replaceable. The engine was missing with factory key and runs fine at higher rpm's with offset key but still won't idle. I read a previous thread about using a carb insulator with pulse fitting and the guys engine wouldn't idle so I might try putting a pulse fitting in the valve cover and put factory insulator back in that is what cured his idiling problem.

You can buy a body from performaglass or spirit industries and then build your own chassis or search the web for a used one.

When running at full throttle with the choke off it backfires out the exhaust, but when the choke is on runs but acts like the timing is off. Eliminated fuel issue by plugging pulse fitting and putting the factory tank back on temporarily, changed nothing,will check insulator and gasket next. How much should I open the low jet?

If it acts like timming is off its possible the timming is off.
Also I thought the carb vent was in the insulator, (on a clone anyway)

I have installed the aftermarket insulator with the pulse fitting from ARC. Spoke with ARC before building. I installed on their recommendation air cleaner, rlv muffler, removed governor, 2 degree offset key, drilled out main jet to .042. Checked crank and can timing marks, all good. Will check gaskets on insulator later today.

I would start around .019 . You can ream it out .001-.002 at a time until you can get it to idle and have crisp throttle response around a 1/4; throttle. If it's blowing black smoke once you get it to idle you may have to back the main jet back down.I ended up with a .024 low side jet on mine.

Thanks for the info, I pulled out the insulator with the pulse fitting and put the factory one back in., it fired right up and runs fine. I put the pulse fitting in the valve cover. I am dialing in the jetting now.

Back