Hooper stopper or wheel to wheel rear bumper?

I got climbed onto 2 times this weekend. What do you suggest?
Youll get diff results here, some will say the wide bumper gives the guy something to push on.. But at the same time with the narrow bumper the same aggressive racer is gonna run up on ya... I run wide bumpers on all my karts, been beat on down at Liberty and gets pretty aggressive in our backyard leagues but Ive never been Ran up on... Its what works for me.....

ive seen a couple wide bumpers get bent into the rear tires ending a weekend pretty quick. don't know how stiff the hopper stoper is. i guess it depends on the quality of the bumper vs the aggressiveness of the driver behind you.

ive seen a couple wide bumpers get bent into the rear tires ending a weekend pretty quick. don't know how stiff the hopper stoper is. i guess it depends on the quality of the bumper vs the aggressiveness of the driver behind you.
They clamp to the frame like a seat strut.

i know what they are just don't know how stout they are. Can they be bent into your back tire? or pushed up the frame rail into the tire?
Yes they can be bent depending on the hit, little thicker than a bumper., can also bend the chassis with a hard enough hit.
I'd just deal with a ride up, if it happens that much at a track, someone needs to talk to the drivers.

Yes they can be bent depending on the hit, little thicker than a bumper., can also bend the chassis with a hard enough hit.
I'd just deal with a ride up, if it happens that much at a track, someone needs to talk to the drivers.

I agree but..
LR ride up is responsible for one of the worst crashes I've seen in karting, Especially because it was my 9 y/o son underneath.

Hopper Stopper works well for us. Cheaper to replace as well.

Yep, thats why I wont bolt a stopper on my kart.. I have a guy that makes my rear bumpers, and I did back into a kart that looped in front of us, and bent it, some, not much, but I didnt bend the LR chassis rail neither.. To each their own tho..

I agree but..
LR ride up is responsible for one of the worst crashes I've seen in karting, Especially because it was my 9 y/o son underneath.

Hopper Stopper works well for us. Cheaper to replace as well.
Worse wreck I ever seen in karting was a champ race at beechnut ¼ track, it used to be on YouTube
Including mine at Junction City going for the lead in a 1k race, it's where I found out how important a left front was at turn in, broke 2 ribs, the LF decided it wanted to go somewhere else.
It's more of a pulled up on than a ride up, your tire lifts the nose of the kart up and over.

We have run both, (Hopper Stopper & wide rear bumpers) and I prefer the Hopper Stopper.
With the wide rear bumper, you've got guys that will use it as a target to push on you, or thump you in the corner to get you loose.
With the Hopper Stopper, they've already got their car out of shape by the time they hit it. (ie Ramming a Hopper Stopper will not work to your advantage.)
A Hopper Stopper won't bend a chromoly frame any quicker than a rear bumper will. Both are made of thinner wall and smaller OD tubing than your frame rails. Hit anything hard enough (Hopper Stopper or rear bumper) and the frame will bend. It's generally not caused by simply wheel hopping either.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
35 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com