Hop

sammy6y

New Bad Max good in and off the corner but hops in the middle, on treaded tires. is moving the front wheels out what I need to do. left is 57.7 and cross is 59.7 front 45.7

From what I've seen posted, your numbers look about right. Pretty much like the average.
My sprint kart would hop like that if I got the tire pressure wrong. Maybe try a little more in the RR and see what happens?

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

i would suggest running slicks, treads are probably hooking up too well in the apex of the corner. hops are generally caused by too much grip somewhere, ive had RF hops, rear hops, and complete bounces.

Have to run treads part of the rules. So what I'm looking for is a fix with treads, what about a wider front track, more left side, less cross, more air. I keep hearing wider in the front will this keep the left rear in the track longer and take some wt. off the right? Thanks

Funny how people jump straight to "take the treads off."

Anyway, what's the track like? Size, and condition? What sort of power you running? Stocker, or open type racing?
What's your rear tread width, and what size LR wheel are you running?

1/5mi. semi banked maybe a little more clay but not red clay and not always the smoothest. clone 212cc not open but not stock, 40 3/4" 9.25 on the LR and a 10 on the RR. and I don't dope the tires and there are Hoosiers. What about the front width? What do you think as far as my numbers and what tire pressures, I'm almost there if not for the hopping pretty good in and good off just the middle.

How many times does it hop? 2-3 times then sets back down and hooks up and drives out? Does it take you off your intended line, front, back or both?

Go up on cross and try that, if it still gets the hop It sounds like it's transfering to the RR and staying on the RR too long forcing it to give up traction and that's what makes it hop as it looses and regains traction.

Yes 2-3 times and then hooks up and drives off good, dose it take me off line not so much, back. If it's on the RR to long what is the best fix. Thanks!!

How big a guy are you? How high is the seat off the axle. Sounds like your VCG is up to high in the kart.. Get weight as low as possible.. I would do that then try adding left side. Idk if moving front out will help or not.. It is transferring weight too fast or too hard. Need to slow down the weight transfer.

Yeah you need to have seat around 8 1/4 - 8 1/2 off the axle.. Get it as low as you can stand it and then put more left in it... If you have lead on the seat move it as low as possible..

I'm getting one there is a guy that make them in N.C. he's taking sometime off when he's back at it I ordering one. And no it's not alum. axle.

Yeah, like that said change seats and put more left, it will get you where you want to be I think.

Lower the seat added more left, by the time the main came we removed the wt. on L.S. no hop and went on to win the main. Thanks for the info.

Back