Horstman twin disc questions

ephenj93

Hope this is in the right spot. Totally new to the go kart deal. Buddy built a dirt oval in his back yard and everyone's getting in on the fun. Got a couple parking lots we can ride too and the owners are cool with it. Plus I may make an oval in my back yard I measured it out and do have enough room. Anyway I picked up what I believe is a tri set Legend kart that came with a ghost 212. It rips but I was a dummy and left the other horstman barrel with a 12 tooth driver at the kids house I bought it from and he won't send it now Darn millenial lol guess a hand shake isn't worth much word today, so I'm stuck with a 15 driver. Everyone runs 12 68 gearing. Currently on the horstman it's 15 64. So here are where my questions come in. Anyone know the name of it? I know this clutch is old and prolly seen better day's but I'll run it till it decides to quit lol. So first off trying to identify which horstman it is. It's anodized orange twin disc yes I know I gotta file the dent's the kids that had this before didn't know what they had or what they were doing all alcohol motors etc.

I was told by someone on facebook I can just change the driver gear out of the back if so that's awesome. Does anyone know where to get a 12 tooth driver or if anyone sells them still. Clutch functions great has an awesome stall and engages really hard still so If I can get a 12 that would be awesome.

Or just get a giant rear gear, I was just concerned it would hit the ground a lot. Cuz to get similar ratio I would prolly at least have to go to a 79 wish I knew what the diameter of 79 tooth rear two piece is want to make sure
chain guard still protects it. If anyone knows that measurement that would be great.
Anyway any info on this clutch where to get drivers etc would be a super help. sorry if this is posted in the wrong area "first post on here" My other question will be engine choice Tillotson 212r or the 212 ghost? I like the ghost the tilly just seems like a better build just my o2 though. Dunno which one puts down more power lol.
IMG_0917.jpg

The 5 spring is different its a square drive . Actually you need to look at it . Some Horstman are square . (X5 and Reaper )
Others are a modified oval shape .
Bully drivers will not work .

Thank you Flat top for such a quick answer on both sounds like getting a 12 tooth driver is my best bet a guy near me has a bunch says they fit I'll have to double check and make sure they aren't bully drivers. Yeah I haven't Even Had a chance to pull it apart yet. So mad at myself leaving the other barrel thing was cherry. Oh well. Darn kid won't even respond now. Dunno if a legend frame is any good either LOL.

It's a six spring one, has that oval then a flat spot from what I can tell I found a someone selling one on market place but someone else got to it before me. Heres few other photos of what it looks like for reference.

Attachments

• horstmann clutch.jpg
    horstmann clutch.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 12 tooth.jpg
    12 tooth.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 16
  • twin disc 75.jpg
    twin disc 75.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 16
You have a Horstman Greased Lightning clutch.
It takes what is commonly referred to as the "large" drivers. (Bully, SMC, Stinger) will not fit.
You can convert your clutch to a Bully style basket and drivers through a conversion kit that we offer, but it is a bit expensive and probably not what you are wanting/needing.
Flattop is correct, 72T is as large as you will fit on the rear without striking the ground with 34" circumference rear tires. If you go to larger (treaded) tires, then of course you can go to a larger tooth rear sprocket -- BUT you'll still be lacking on rpm since you also increase tire size.
Finding a 12T driver will be like finding hens teeth. I believe these clutches (and drivers) haven't been made for 7 or 8 years now.
You may have better luck finding a used 12T driver for this clutch.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Noram cheetah and tomar (I forget the name) clutches use the same type 3 tab basket and discs, that take bully type drivers.
Or, go whole hog. Replace the basket and discs with whichever you like most.

Not inexpensive, but then you have more possibilities.

Last edited:
I agree with Brian it is a greased lightning. You may find a 12 but it would be a lot easier finding a 13

Thank you Flat top for such a quick answer on both sounds like getting a 12 tooth driver is my best bet a guy near me has a bunch says they fit I'll have to double check and make sure they aren't bully drivers. Yeah I haven't Even Had a chance to pull it apart yet. So mad at myself leaving the other barrel thing was cherry. Oh well. Darn kid won't even respond now. Dunno if a legend frame is any good either LOL.
Drive back and Get It .

Drive back and Get It .
Yeah the kids quite the head says he's hanging onto it now cuz he's not sure what he's doing with the other kart. Won't respond to messages or anything dude sucks. Did Find a guy in MA tho that has a bunch of drivers he says that will fit. He's selling off his entire race program TONS of parts. So hopefully he's got it if not I did see one on market place I might just grab for parts thats a 12 tooth just banged up a little for a good price. Are they decent clutches if you take care of them? Or for the back yard banging I'm going to be doing should I just go with a max torque or something. Considering they don't make parts for them anymore. Although the kid that always wins runs a flatty on alcohol personally I think they are better cuz he always seems to pull the hardest out of the corners and runs a gnarly bully clutch lol. Just the way these work and engage to me is so awesome. Heres the kart I scooped, got a ton of extra tires and full set of spare rims w/tires body, guards, extra seat, etc. Prolly paid a little bit extra at 1500. But They did just put the ghost motor on which for the price tag the build quality not feeling compared to a 212r tilly but it still rips considering it's rev limited to only 6k. The flywheel tho looking at it I dunno If I want to spin it past that LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_8833.jpg
    IMG_8833.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited by a moderator:
They are ok the driver design not matching bully and the three tab disc's weren't real popular . If you break a hub its done otherwise run it .

The greased lightning is a great clutch. I personally have 3 or 4 still and run them weekly. Brian Carlson still rebuilds these clutches and would be my go to guy if you had any questions about it. With that being said are you trying to match your gearing to the guy that runs the flatty?

The greased lightning is a great clutch. I personally have 3 or 4 still and run them weekly. Brian Carlson still rebuilds these clutches and would be my go to guy if you had any questions about it. With that being said are you trying to match your gearing to the guy that runs the flatty?
Match the gearing my buddys all run with there modded to the moon predator/tillotsons/clones. One of them builds 10.5 outlaw cages well any cage certified for under 6's has a boosted 66 mustang with a 450ci sbf with basically yates heads makes like over 2,000 to the wheels it's art work to me. Anyway one of my best buds from grade school that we couldn't leave anything alone that was slow to us lol. Anyway he's got crazy work he did to his head, runs a 26mm mukuni big cam, billet rod the usual. Drove his kart it was a newerish coyote, problem I felt was he had to much power to be honest, found myself over driving it. Or he just likes a really loose driving kart. I just know that the flatty's make the best torque down low and on a small dirt oval they pull so hard out of the corners at least my buddy's older bro's set up does it perfect every lap lol, granted he's got a amazing set up. So I'm looking for a 12 or a 11 even I could work with. Through the extensive amount of googleing I did find one site Someone http://www.robertskartshop.com/p/sprocket_front/T49013H.html above said that Tomar works with this and it's says horstman too. If I can buy them brand new at that price that would be awesome or this might be to good to be true lol.

Last edited:
No : they said a tomar bell works on that clutch . The Three tab bell . The tomar bell takes bully drivers.
A six tab bully bell also works but you have to change friction plates .
Call whomever you order from to be sure you get what you need.

No : they said a tomar bell works on that clutch . The Three tab bell . The tomar bell takes bully drivers.
A six tab bully bell also works but you have to change friction plates .
Call whomever you order from to be sure you get what you need.
I beg to differ. There is a tomar with a blue bell that does take the same driver as the greased lightning. I am not sure which model but I know for a fact they take the same driver. And to the OP you are running a virtually stock engine against what sounds like opens your gearing would be totally different. What size is the track you are running? What tires? What are your numbers on setup? There are guys on here that can get you close to the gearing you should be running.

Someone was making conversion baskets that took the other's drivers. 3 tab baskets that took Bully drivers, and 8 tab baskets that took GL drivers. There were even some steel baskets that came with the driver welded in place. Pretty sure they are NLA. Maybe @Mike Curry could chime in here.

Back