How is a "no prep" rule generally enforced?

Mr 69 keep drinking your jug u will b ok in the mourning most people that do not want the prep in karting just dont see the gains with it time spent doing it / a little more money / and for alot not learning what they can get out of there equipment [kart/engine/clutch ect] i know you pro still dont get the points made and i guess thats ok seence what i read on hear gets a little out of hand for some its real hard to believe that in the dirt karting world after you get your kart dailed in that you never chase or race the tracks you go to.. But some think that all you need to do is use there jug... Of some sorts [here is where you 69 might want to lisen lol!] we all can be very fast and compete against each other with out any chemicals facttt ! Good luck everyone

With chemicals we'll be EVEN FASTER STILL. And, you can't get the points because you continue to argue invalid arguments. Without prep the people faster than you would still be faster.

If you "chase" the track at all, you're already behind on the track.

There r a few on here that we all can see that they just want to argue or down play the issue my challenge to them is this lets go raceing with no sorts of prep put in $ or not and see what you may know on that given day kind of simple dont you think ?? We run burris but i dont care what you run lol! Mid west ohio ???

“The use of "no prep" cannot be enforced with today's technology.”
There have been several threads in the past that agree with this, although one sniffer manufacturer claims that it can’t be fooled unless you’ve used so little that it wouldn’t help you anyway.

“Wait until the DEP starts getting complaints about the water problems…”
That’s a valid concern. If the EPA gets involved then you are in for a world of frustration. One of our local tracks closed – owner sold the property to a housing developer. But most of the property was found to be contaminated so not many houses have been built.

“I think the only reasonable rule is get a duro reading…”
At one track we did that in a “for fun” class and it seemed to work, but probably because the other rules for that class (that restricted chassis technology and horsepower) were more dominant.

“if you ban prep you might as well ban the real racers, open modified and unlimiteds!”
Real racers are in all classes… real racers do not always have the budget to run the fastest classes. I’ve run opens and I’ve run box-stocks, and haven’t found that one made me a “real racer” while the other didn’t. But would you accept the opinions of a famous racer? Ken Schrader wrote an article for Speedway Illustrated magazine defining what is a “real racer”, and now they even have a contest and prizes for it.

"Does anyone know who is getting sick from using tire prep ??"
Yes, me and my best driver. I would get headaches that lasted for a day or two after doing weekly prepping... but I've pretty much eliminated that by doing my prepping outdoors. Happened to me using almost any prep, and I've tried a lot of them. My best driver is sensitive to Goat. He will get the runs the next day... the more Goat used the worse.

“what is it about prepped tires that make them so much faster than not prepped? Can't be the difference going down the straights. Law of physics tells us that. Wouldn't over-prepped tires just bind the chassis to the track? How many sets of prepped tires do you need?”
Prepped tires tend to grip better in the turns, allowing you to carry more speed. Over-prepped tires can bind you up in the turns and kill off corner speed – then they overheat and kill off corner speed by making you slide in the turns. You can gain a little speed on straights if the grip is right, but it’s the speed carried through the corners that helps you the most. You only need one set of prepped tires – IF you’ve guessed correctly what you’ll need on race day, and that’s hard to do with changing weather and even harder if you’re on dirt. Big budget teams prep dozens of tires in different ways so they can choose the best version on race day, and once they figure out which set is best that’s probably the only set they’ll use all night – even swapping that same set onto multiple karts.

“I've seen it, 3 ways no prep period, no prepping at the track and no wet tires on the grid.
Either way it takes cooperation from those involved.” “racers are thier own worst enemies…”
Winner winner chicken dinner! It is so easy to circumvent tire prepping rules that it has to be policed by the racers themselves. Since most racers want to go the fastest possible, and gain the most advantage possible, my experience is that you won’t get racer cooperation except maybe in a “for fun” class.

I’ve been searching for answers for years, and they still elude me. Tire manufacturers might be able to make tires that don’t react well to preps, but that could hurt sales. I don’t favor rules that restrict what racers can do with their equipment, but I feel we do need at least one class that is restrictive enough to keep costs down – that’s a class for racers with low budgets or low experience or who want to sharpen their skills without using chemical crutches. But I admit I may be kidding myself – I’ve rarely seen “rules to keep costs down” actually do that.

If a tire that was too soft for the application was specified, wouldn't that pretty much stop a lot of the need for prepping?
Of course tires would wear out quicker, so that could be a problem for friday and saturday night racing.
Just throwing it out there

When tires are too soft for the application I've had trouble with them getting greasy and causing the kart to get squirrely. That's good if you're a finesse driver... but the track needs wide run-off areas too.
Another way to get essentially the same thing (at least on dirt) is to prep the track so it's really hard. But I wonder if racers would mount pavement tires and try to prep them down?
Maybe specifying the too-soft tire would work if the manufacturer cast easy-to-find-and-decipher rubber hardness codes on them (the color of a sticker or painted-on logo isn't good enough... can alter those...).

There r a few on here that we all can see that they just want to argue or down play the issue my challenge to them is this lets go raceing with no sorts of prep put in $ or not and see what you may know on that given day kind of simple dont you think ?? We run burris but i dont care what you run lol! Mid west ohio ???

This fella is so confused about those who use prep.

If a tire that was too soft for the application was specified, wouldn't that pretty much stop a lot of the need for prepping?
Of course tires would wear out quicker, so that could be a problem for friday and saturday night racing.

Last year we had a Burris 33 tire rule. Our local track is very hard calcium based track. 33's are way to soft for the surface. I found 4 year old scuffs that had hardened up, prepped them lightly. Ran that set for the whole season and won every race I was in except two and those were second place finishes. So there's still ways to gain an advantage even with soft tires. However they were corded for the last feature of the year. But that one set won a championship...

Bob, i believe WKA tried this with the HT-5, and people still found advantages with prepping. We all know how this turned out for WKA.

The WKA shot itself in the foot when it attempted to ban prep. Their intentions may have been to protect members but it proved prep was here to stay and anyone standing in the way of racers and their prep would be dismissed. Some of the discussions here on Bob's were heated to say the least.

DK

Back