How long do new tires last...5 year old set

racingman

I'm wondering how long tires are good for. I have 4 brand new Bridgestone YLC's that have been sitting on the shelf for about 5 or so years. Stickers still on them. Not wrapped for storage. Just out in the open. Heated garage. Can I use these to race, practice, or put them back on the shelf.

I put a dyrometer on them at it said 72 at first but after about 5 seconds holding it it dropped to 56.

If I can use them, anything I should do to prep them. Not treatments but like simple green or something. Running WKA asphalt this weekend but am too new to know about tires. What do you think? Brian Carlson will know.

IMG_5824.jpg

Run them. I wouldn't use Simple Green on them though.
I'm sure they are harder than fresh tires, so that may actually be to your benefit if the track is hard on tires. IF it's not, and the track temps are cool, you may be at a deficit with the lack of grip that you'll have until the tires get up to operating temps.
If you want them to hit right out of the gate, you might sand/refinish them to open them up...otherwise a lap on the track working them up to temp will break them open plenty on pavement.
Some internal Medium Rare would do them a tremendous amount of good -- or even Street & Strip Golden Grip.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Run them all day Friday in practice and then put on fresh for Saturday. If you are travelling to a national race, the $200 set of tires should not be what holds you back.

Back