How much does engine matter?

Patkohns

How much difference is there between a red plate bsp clone and one stickered up and sold by a builder? I see the price difference being 3-4 times as much, but what are you getting for that increased investment? Does any difference show up more on certain type tracks more that others? Will a red plate bsp hang with a builder engine on a long wide open momentum track like the 1/5 mile in Brookings?

Lots of work and dyno time, better cam choice, better carb choice.
Overall better package.

The red plate classes should be more about teaching the kids how to race. They should be learning how to drive the racing line, how to keep their momentum up, how to pass cleanly, etc. That said I'm sure a good builder engine could be better than a stocker, if that's where you want to allocate funds go for it. But I'll bet on a Sat night if you get on the right tires and the driver keeps it rolling they'll be towards the front. Knowing where your engine is making its power helps too, I think a lot of people get caught searching for higher RPM and are trying to turn these red plate engines way more than they need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does a built and blueprinted engine (small plate or other) make more power? Yes.
Is it worth the extra expense? To most racers, yes.
Is it worth it to you? That's up to you.
Spend what you feel comfortable with and what you feel is necessary. If you can get away with a box stock engine with little expense and get the results that you desire, then absolutely save your money or spend it elsewhere. If you're not getting the results, make sure that you give your driver at least a level playing field by having equal engine to his/her competitors.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
www.youtube.com
34 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

So we have been running Red Plate this year and i purchased two used motors off of Facebook and freshened up both of them. We run against some professional built motors. We have never been under power and have won some races. But the motor was never the factor. Her line, tires and confidence has been the biggest thing to get speed for us.

So we have been running Red Plate this year and i purchased two used motors off of Facebook and freshened up both of them. We run against some professional built motors. We have never been under power and have won some races. But the motor was never the factor. Her line, tires and confidence has been the biggest thing to get speed for us.
You bought 2 built engines, now go buy a new one, no one has touched, throw your plate on it and get back to us with your findings

So as an example we have 350 dollars all in for a red plate bsp, theres a used for sale i saw at $1,150.

Last edited:
So as an example we have 350 dollars all in for a red plate bsp, theres a used red plate for sale i saw at $1,150. Thats a big difference. we sometimes struggle to keep up in Brookings with kids running stickered engined that you can hear they are getting way more rpm. We've tried different gears, tweaked setup can run wide open but still not maintain pace. Is the engine what we're lacking
1150.00 used is way too much, even if it was fresh.
That's a new zero laps engine price, all in ready to run

It all comes down to competition. If the competition isn't top tier then it's not as important, but this goes for almost every aspect of racing or sports.

Local racing vs traveling to money shows. Determine the level you want to compete at then adjust your budget to fit.

Even Local racing 88% have builders engines .
I recommend buying new .
Too much risk with used .
If the builder recommended a engine
That would be different.
Or you actually knew the person/engine .

I've raced at ups, it's a wide open lift and you're done kind of racetrack, if you're 2 tenths off in the feature your gonna be about a half lap behind the leaders, and at ups that seems like a mile, builders charge those prices because there are people willing to spend what it takes to run with the leaders, though those who run up front know and work tirelessly towards making sure the set up, engine/clutch, tires and the driver are all spot on, if you're gonna spend the money for a top of the line engine and in turn expect big results, you better be prepared to spend a chunk on tires/prep and entry fees for multiple classes to get your driver the needed seat time to perfect their driving just as well....jmo

So as an example we have 350 dollars all in for a red plate bsp, theres a used red plate for sale i saw at $1,150. Thats a big difference. we sometimes struggle to keep up in Brookings with kids running stickered engined that you can hear they are getting way more rpm. We've tried different gears, tweaked setup can run wide open but still not maintain pace. Is the engine what we're lacking
What kart were you with? I can tell you for a fact that a lot of the red plate races there this year were won with a stock yellow BSP with about 30 nights on it. Cubic dollars will definitely help win some races, but there might be other areas to focus on if you don't want to be spending that much on an engine. I know I don't want to be doing that with multiple kids racing.

1150.00 used is way too much, even if it was fresh.
That's a new zero laps engine price, all in ready to ru

Red and Green plate engines, with the limited supply of air they get, are actually the hardest to get power out of. A good built engine is worth every penny extra.
This is based on very high competition level. If your competition is not that good then take this as it is.
But how much more are they sqeezing out of a restricted engine? Your statement almost seems like an argument the other way, like they're so hard to get power out of how much are you gaining for the cost of the build?

Getting you engine tested , then dyno tuned . Would give you a good idea about power .
Along with power increase the bigger thing might be moving the power band up .

Back