how much nitro does a top fuel car use?

At no time was 100% ever run....and in fact, the per cent used was and is a tuning factor.

Today there is a limit on the percentage of nitro used but that wasn't always the case. In the mid-60s Bob Skinner, Tom Jobe, and Mike Sorokin (hope I spelled them correctly) were college students in southern California with at least one of them majoring in chemistry. They became known as "the Surfers" and from what I've heard were generally looked down upon. Could have been the fact that they were generally more interested in riding skateboards instead of working on their car between rounds. Anyway, together they built themselves a top fuel car and with their knowledge of chemistry they ran it on 100% nitro for a while. I understand at the time no one was even close to that percentage, I've heard about 60% was normal, and it really freaked a lot of people out that they could not only run 100% but they never seemed to work on their car. Most of the time they actually ran 96-98% nitro with the rest toluene and a few drops of blue food dye just to mess with people's heads.

In 1966 they marched through a 64 car field at the Bakersfield March Meet beating people like Garlits, Kalitta, and Malone. The next year they abruptly sold the operation and I heard Skinner and Jobe were never involved in drag racing again. Sorokin continued driving until he was killed in a clutch explosion I believe (these were the days before rear engine dragsters).

These college kids pioneered how to tune for very high percentages of nitro and forever changed fuel racing.

I always loved the story of the Surfers! Hope you don't mind me sharing:)

They burn 4 to 5 gallons in a pass, 10 to 12 total including burnout with a pump that has a flow rate of 65 gallons per minute.

Anyway, after the NHRA handed down their self serving edict, and Schu brought some fuel strictly for his own use......NHRA got wind of this and fined Schumacher $100,000.00 for the offense.

Much to my surprise Don paid the fine......probably out of his petty cash.

True Story! But....Don didn't have a choice....Did he? Also, the 'petty cash'....was 'US Army' (our) money! :)

The Don has puuuullllenty of $$$ on his own.
Being the 100% ethical person that he is.....and fully award of the possibility of persons saying that the Army picked up the bill.........I can give you my word that the bill was not paid out of any sponsorship money.
Let's not get the idea that sponsors are not watching where every penny of their money goes. Schumacher voluntarily gives an account of all sponsorship funds at the end of the fiscal year. The IRS is also an interested party.

There is a right way, and a wrong way, to run a business.
Notice the dominating position of Schumacher chargers in the world of electronics, and the dominating position of DSR in drag racing (a billion dollar business) and no one will question his brains, and ethics.

Monied sponsors are a rare and fragile commodity. You play right with them, or they don't play!!

Don had a choice: as follows: Pay the fine, or sit. I DO expect there was some kind of "accommodation" as regards the fine. I don't ask those questions.

The Surfers IS a great story. There is much more to it than mentioned here. Much more.
AND we knew how to run 100%.
Back in the "match race" days, Schu always wanted to run 98% plus 2% methanol, just to ease the start and warm up.

We ran the 98% for the following reasons: We knew we'd run that per cent in the National races. Therefore we wanted to be thoroughly familiar with the fuel formula and tuning needs of a 98% mixture.
We wanted to win the match races, to put the proper respect in the guys we'd have to race at the national events. If we consistantly beat certain guys match racing....and it's many forms....then we felt we
had the upper hand in the national races. We ran the match races the same as the national races. WIN was what the Don wanted to do. Nothing else mattered. It wasn't a matter of life or death, it was more important than that. ;) (old joke).

Tracks put on 4 car and 8 car shows. Whenever Prudhomme was in the show, as if by magic, ourselves and the Snake (Prudhomme) wound up always, in the final run. Those finals were pure hell......and whichever of us won it......was feeling GOOD for the next week or so. I'd say that Prudhomme held a slight lead on us, in those races. Maybe in 11 races he won 6, we won 5.
Prudhomme was a tough, focused competitor.....one of the best of all time.

The way they ran 100% was with 16 fuel nozzles and their pistons cut down to about 1/4" in the hole to bring the C.R. down to about 6:1. and there is no way that Don paid that fine out of U.S. Army money, because that fuel ban was 20 yrs. before the Army ever got with him, although they were with the Snake on his funny Car for a while. During the ban many big names ran with AHRA, because they still allowed Nitro. We had 2 top fuel cars in 1967, called ourselves, "The Backyard Guys".

Last edited:
Who knew that a German cleaning chemical would become one
the best things to happen to the Chrysler Hemi engine. :)

The Surfers always said one of the reasons they ran 100% nitro was because of the inaccuracy of hydrometers of the day. The claimed they could never get the fuel mix consistent and that caused all sorts of problems. I could see that being true. I think they also wanted to get inside people's heads and they definitely did that! It took them awhile to figure out how to get the motor to run on a full load but once they did they had incredible reliability. They never worked on the motor between rounds and it was like a bracket car. They really did ride skateboards between rounds. There's a story where they went to a match race with three other cars and one broke in the first round. The Surfers ran double the number of races they were required to so they could make up for the lost car.

If you do a Google search you can find pictures of the car. It was short, even for the day, because they only had a small garage so it had to fit. No paint, no stickers, and only minimal bodywork that was really rough. It was truly a POS in every sense of the word but it ran like stink.

Surfers change motors constantly. Wherever they raced they looked for old Hemi engines in junkyards or scrap places.
They put the engines in and ran them with the blower and lots of fuel.
Their tow car was a neat 57 Chev wagon.....I do not remember if it was that real slick expensive wagon, which name escapes me right now.

The legend of their racing exceeded the results. They WERE a fun bunch. ;)

Seems like I remember Bruce Litton using a Nomad as a tow
vehicle in the late 90's too early 2000's in IHRA Top Fuel, not shure
of the year though. But it was a cool looking classic.

Specially since I paid only $300. for it, got drunk 1 night and wound up racing a drunk buddies Buick Roadblaster up I-80 at about 100+ and the next night the front U-joint came apart and fell out.

JB,
I had a 1958 black 2 dr sedan 430ci Merc.....in the early 60's....nose down, of course. Lived in Aurora Ill. going to school there.
I got out on the Interstate from time to time, and aired it out.
One time, going about 100 + racing a friend, the drive shaft came out. Looked like a pole vaulters pole, bouncing waaaay up over the car. Only damage was to the drive shaft.
Amazing how well our survival luck was, in those days! ;)

Acceleration explained.

* One Top Fuel dragster outfitted with a 500
cubic-inch replica Dodge (actually Keith Black,
etc) Hemi engine makes more horsepower (8,000
HP) than the first 4 rows at NASCAR's Daytona

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine will
consume 11.2 gallons of nitro methane per
second; a fully loaded Boeing 747 consumes jet
fuel at the same rate but with 25% less energy
being produced.

* A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce
enough power to merely drive the dragster's
supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the
supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is
compressed into a near-solid form before
ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of
hydraulic lockup at full throttle.

* At the stoichio metric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture
for nitro methane the flame front temperature
measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular
white flame seen above the stacks at night is
raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from
atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust
gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark
plug. Which is typically the output of an
electric arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed
during a pass. After 1/2 way thru the run, the
engine is 'dieseling' from compression and the
glow of the exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F.
The engine can only be shut down by cutting the
fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run,
unburned nitro builds up in the affected
cylinders and then explodes with enough
sufficient force to blow the cylinder heads off
the block in pieces or split the block in half
!!

* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH +... before you
have completed reading this sentence.

* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, a
dragster must accelerate an average of over 4
G's. In order to reach 200 MPH well before
reaching half-track, at launch the acceleration
approaches 8 G's.

* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540
revolutions from light to light!

* Including the burnout, the engine must only
survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment
is paid for, the pit crew is working for free,
& NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run will cost an
estimated $1,000 per second.

0 to 100 MPH in .8 seconds (the first 60 feet
of t he run)

0 to 200 MPH in 2.2 seconds (the first 350 feet
of the run)

6 g-forces at the starting line (nothing
accelerates faster on land)

6 negative g-forces upon deployment of twin
'chutes at 300 MPH

An NHRA Top Fuel Dragster accelerates quicker
than any other land vehicle on earth . .
quicker than a jet fighter plane . . . quicker
than the space shuttle....or snapping your
fingers !!

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time
record is 4.420 seconds for the quarter-mile
(2004, Doug Kalitta). The top speed record is
337.58 MPH as measured over the last 66' of the
run (2005, Tony Schumacher).

Let's now put this all into perspective:

Imagine this...........You are driving a new
$140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered
Corvette Z-06. Over a mile up the road, a Top
Fuel dragster is staged & ready to 'launch'
down a quarter-mile s trip as you pass. You
have the advantage of a flying start. You run
the 'Vette hard, on up through the gears and
blast across the starting line & pass the
dragster at an honest 200 MPH.... The 'tree'
goes green for both of you at that exact
moment.

The dragster departs & starts after you. You
keep your foot buried hard to the floor, and
suddenly you hear an incredibly brutally
screaming whine that seares and pummels your
eardrums & within a mere 3 seconds the dragster
effortlessly catches & passes you. He beats
you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away
from where you just passed him. Think about it
- from a standing start, the dragster had
spotted you 200 MPH.....and it not only caught,
but nearly blasted you off the planet when he
passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race
!!!!

That, my friends.....is acceleration

That's nearly as quick as my wife's temper.

Back