How to crank go kart with air gun

Probably not best for crank but I've wrapped a tie down strap around the starter nut and pulled it that way when starters were missing or dead

Im not so sure I would want to be wacking the starter nut and flywheel with a 800ft lb impact gun!

Yea it didn't work out to well. It stripped the nut and I want to use it because I'm converting the kart to a yard kart and I'm tired of replacing the battery on the starter.

I known of people to have a special gun to start with an air compressor.

Its gonna be a lot easier to drag the air compressor and 1 inch impact down the hill to restart it after you've run out of fuel.:rolleyes:
Sell the impact, buy an engine and a battery.
No way your going to start with air cheaper than a battery.

I don't get it. So many times someone starts a thread about starting engines with an IMPACT, be it electric or air. Ask your self, WHY do you need impact? There are too many options that ae tried and true, proven to work. Impact has absolutely NO place when it comes to starting engines. You wanna tear up your stuff, hey, that's your option. That's what your competition is hoping you'll do. JMHO.

So in the end nobody knows how to do this? I hear a lot of why you want to do this? There is a way to do this I just have to find the right air tool.

I just have to find the right air tool.

That right there is the point. an IMPACT tool is NOT the right air tool. Personally, If that is something you insist on venturing into, contact a pneumatic repair facility that specializes in industrial applications, give them your torque/rpm requirements and they should be able to tell you how many hundreds of dollars you'll need to spend for the "right" air tool.

Yea it didn't work out to well. It stripped the nut

I known of people to have a special gun to start with an air compressor.

The reason people "don't know how to do this" is because (in a nut shell) you cant. You said yourself it didn't work, it stripped the threads off. You need something to "spin" the engine, not "impact" it. If you know people who are truly using an impact gun to start their engines, you might want to ask them how they are doing it. They are smatter than me. I suspect that its not an "impact" gun but some air tool, like a cut off grinder or something, that's been converted to do the job. The forces an impact gun exerts is going to break stuff on a kart engine. Like you said, you "need to find the right air tool." Its not an impact gun. There are much easier and more convenient and cheaper ways to start a Kart than a large air compressor, high volume air line and an impact gun. That's what most folks are inferring with their posts. Good luck.

Be careful using something to start it without a sprag bearing on it - it's pretty hard on the wrists when the tool takes of at engine idle speed.

So in the end nobody knows how to do this? I hear a lot of why you want to do this? There is a way to do this I just have to find the right air tool.
diesel truck had air starters, I think indy or formula 1 uses air starters. Obviously not feasible. cost wise. all you need is an air motor and one way clutch.
I push started a sportster for about 2 months when I did not want to purchase a battery. 28 years old an full of hiss and vinager. finally broke down and paid the piper life got easier all of a sudden.

Do not use an impact, terrible on the crank. If you have accesss to power use a good electric drill. It works.

Back