How to harden up a set of burris tires without no sun

strong08

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to harden up a set of new Burris 33s. I need them hardened up in a coipule of days. I really don't have any sun out right now. I have them out side I wiped some acroysal on them.

Anything you do to harden them up is just going to hurt the performance and life of them. You can wipe them with methanol and keep doing that. But the best way to do it that IV found without killing the tires was just to put them thru heat cycles over and over. You may be able to wipe down with methanol then put in hotbox for awhile, take them out and let them cool down, then repeat. If your trying to harden them up for Liberty like that, you'll kill your performance.

Are you saying hardening them up will kill the performance or using the method you mentioned to harden the tires will kill the performance.

I've found that pressure washing with hot water will pull out chemicals and bring back the hardness. I do this after every race and mine will punch 65-70 once dry for couple days. Race day they get down to 50 sometimes lower pending prep, but hot power wash seems to work for me.

I'm saying ANY method you use to harden them up other than sunlight and time is going to kill or hurt the performance of the tires. Even if you do it with sunlight and time, or heat cycles, you would still have to condition them at some point, and would have to wipe something at the track before you race, and they will drop right back down to almost the same duro they were at when you started, especially if its an aggressive prep you use. The best way to fix your problem is find some tires that are already harder or already around the duro range your needing. The new ones you have now, you can scuff them and sit them up somewhere thats cool and dry, preferably temp controlled, and let them cure, they will harden up but it will take time. If you do this right, the tires wont drop back to the same duro when you finally do get them out and use them and wipe/roll your prep.

If you have any tricks on hardening a tire really well, let me know!! If it hurts performance or not id like to know how to get a burris 33 punch 65 plus! range.

Cut it thin and let it sit a few years. :)

Or buy used that have had goat or green in them. They'll be hard. I've got some Burris 33s sitting in the shop here right now that are dry cracked from harsh preps and they're not that old of tires (2012 date codes) punching mid 60s to low 70s.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Tire rule prevents you from being able to use harder compound tires, genius. Tracks here have a Burris ss33a or 33 only rule, can't use 44's or 55's, so racers have to find harder 33's. Same as racers in the southeast where some races only allow HT3 Or EL tires. Not everyone runs backyard tracks with their buddies like you lol

Back