How to tighten clutch bolt?

bomber315

I kinda hate to admit not knowing this at this point, but how is everyone holding a disk clutch to properly torque the bolt that holds it in the crank? I had an issue last time out so apparently my method of just slamming it on with my drill isn't the best way.

Electric impact wrench. No need to hold anything, just hit it a couple times and you're good to go.
I'm sure the experts on here can give more specifics. We use a Porter-Cable 20v, 3/8th drive, available a Lowe's.

Looks like maybe I should invest in an impact gun then. Rigid probably quit making the ones that take the same battery as my drill or at least that would be my luck.

Impact gun here as well .
The proper way would be with the tool designed to fit over the activator plate .
I have the Horstman but never bought one for a bully .
Honestly have not seen one offered in a long time .
Probably not produced due too no sales .

One way would be drill through the pressure plate floaters and disk's .
Then slip a removable pin in too lock the clutch . 1/8" hole .(works on any multiple disk type clutch )
Or fill the cyninder with rope , hold the crank nut , strap wrench on the flywheel
Lastly a piston stop .

Last edited:
There's usually a hole somewhere in the bell housing that will let you put an allen wrench or screw driver to lock the flywheel. You can also put a piece of rope in the spark plug hole to stop the piston but it's hard on the rod. What engine are you talking about?

Reactions: K12
If you're using an electric starter with starter nut on the end of the crank, put a wrench on it to hold crank in place and use a socket/ratchet on clutch bolt and tighten to your liking.... if a rope starter on a clone/predator, pop the three screws off that hold the pull rope to the flywheel housing, stick a screwdriver or the like through the cup that attaches to the flywheel and tighten clutch bolt, or you can put a socket/rachet on the big nut that holds the cup to the flywheel....

X3 on impact. I use my Dewalt with a 3/8 drive attachment and a socket. If your looking to pick up imapct on the cheap, check out that Walmart brand. The name escapes me at the moment.

I wouldn't ugga ugga to much , those bolts break pretty easy , and sometimes can cost you a good night of racing ..

Use Grade 8 bolts. they won't break!!!!!!!!, it has 6 lines on the head.
If it coming loose, put a little loctite on it. I prefer red.

It will come loose so you can remove clutch With a normal impact. with a few ugga uggas.

Guys talking about putting rope in the cylinder and drilling holes in your clutches LOLLLLLLLLL.

Impact gun. If you dont have an impact gun, then a 1/2' wrench with a few quick taps on it with a hammer to seat it tight.
This was done for years. With a clone, just hold the pull rope as you tighten will work also.
Main thing is to have the proper spacing with a good lock washer.

Use Grade 8 bolts. they won't break!!!!!!!!, it has 6 lines on the head.
If it coming loose, put a little loctite on it. I prefer red.
I switched to a grade 8 bolt as well. Haven't used loctite, but its not a bad idea if it has a habit of coming loose.

I switched to a grade 8 bolt as well. Haven't used loctite, but its not a bad idea if it has a habit of coming loose.
Just be careful on going too crazy on the hard bolt. I would much rather ruin the bolt than ruin the threads on my crankshaft.

Make sure you use the correct length bolt and dont over tighten with a giant impact.

2-3 Uggas is plenty.

Correct length = the longest possible without bottoming out . IMO.
Not a 3/4 inch long one .
Somewhere theres data that shows one diameter of length is all thats needed .
In this situation i disagree .

If you are using a lock washer, you should not need (or want) Loctite.
I use neverseize on the threads of the bolt.
Tighten enough to compress the lock washer.
Yes, I use an impact more often than not, but a box end wrench or ratchet and socket will suffice.
Remember, the bolt is right hand thread and the crankshaft is turning counterclockwise, so it won't just loosen on it's own. If left loose though, they certainly can vibrate out.

Removing a rounded, stripped, Loctited in, grade 8 bolt at the track might make you consider other options. :)

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back