how too clean an old pipe

flattop1

Dawg 89
I have several pipes that iv'e never ran. They've gotten rusty and not been tapped up.
2 ways iv'e heard are to slosh some old gas oil mix around inside then drain out and heat end till it starts to burn the carbon and puff out everything inside. The other method is to take I
them to radiator shop and have them boiled in hot tank then wash out with power washer.
one method work better or not at all?
Any better ways?

We use our oxy/acetylene torch to burn all the old built up oil (and rust if been sitting) and crud out. Soda blast the outside. Looks performs like brand new

I don't think you'd want to get it cherry red, you're going to end up with a warped mess of a pipe. the oil and crud is going to burn at a much lower temp than cherry red. I've never done it, but I'd heat it until it started smoking (the oil is burning and turning to coke/ash at that point) and just keep it there until the smoke fell off.

Ok so burn it off then wash it out.
Won't the pressure wave push anything loose left inside into the engine?

That's a really long shot. I would hold the pipe so the flex end is hanging down. Heat the whole pipe. A rosebud torch end works best in my opinion. Just heat the whole thing, starting at the cone farthest from the flex socket and go towards it. You will smell the stuff burning out. Shake it all out. Lastly, do the can side and then shake it out.

You will not be able to get the last section of cones that are inside the can. This is why the radiator shop is my first choice.
Mike

IMHO - There's a few ways to do this as u've read the radiator boil it out for $25 - $40 and u can use a rosebud head on a torch as Grady instructed. Although a propane bottle torch with rosebud is better than a cutting torch. But this goes back to & before WWII days with the 2 stroke NAZI sidecar motorcycles on the Eastern Front pushing the Blitzkrieg into Russia in the cold & losing power to keep up the recon pace ahead of the panzer tanks when they stopped at farms & such to rest refuel, toilet, work on their machinery etc... The 2 smokes would routinely always remove their pipes & build a BBQ fire & roast their pipes cherry red, let them naturally cool then rap/tap & roll on them with their bayonet or knife Messer handles & shake the castor residue out of them. I digress on the historical background. PUT ur pipe in a Wood/Coal BBQ & roast the pipe turning it every so gently for even heating until almost red, let NATURALLY cool COMPLETELY, then rap/tap softly & shake until clean. Next fill the pipe with diesel, plug all holes & shake vigorously & drain then repeat diesel rinse as needed until perfect. Then Air compress blow dry. Another way is to fill the pipe with some old outlawed Berryman Chem Dip & seal up all the holes SECURELY , gently shake & let sit a day or two, drain, & compress air blow out. U could try this with diesel for a few days as well. Still another Gem technique is to follow the same process above with good old 2 liters of CocaCola brand Coke, but NOT longer than 1 or 2 days bc the Coke will eat right though & desolve holes in ur pipe that u never had before !! Repeat as needed. - JMHO
DO NOT DRINK THE COKE DUMMY ;p
When u r all done coat the inside with some Marvel Mystery or WD40 or ATF so it don't rust inside unless u use it right away - hope this helps. Coating it inside with diesel won't hurt either. It's a 2Smoker ...Let r smoke ;p

PS FlatTop always flush out u don't want ur engine to suck debris/rust back into the 2smoker & toast your smoker or
smoke your toast or something like that :eek:

Am I the only one that does this in the gas grill. I usuilly cook it on high at 525 for about 10 minutes. Let it cool on it own and tap and blow everything out. Works great.

Where do you find a radiator shop with a dip tank anymore? I thought that the EPA outlawed dip tanks? How about the use of a burn barrel with several gallons of alky inside, light and let all burn off. much less smoke that way. I also like the gas grille thing too.

Anyone ever use that spray on oven cleaner? seems to me like it should work. IMHO, the biggest problem is that after cleaning it might rust quickly inside, spray or dip in WD-40?

Where do you find a radiator shop with a dip tank anymore? I thought that the EPA outlawed dip tanks? How about the use of a burn barrel with several gallons of alky inside, light and let all burn off. much less smoke that way. I also like the gas grille thing too.

Jack, Someone once told me (right or wrong, I dunno) that there were big businesses "grandfathered in" when laws changed regarding dip tanks. I don't think you can open a new radiator shop nowadays with one though.

Aluminum & plastic nowadays. Probably not much made anymore one can "dip".

I have used a gallon of muratic acid before a plastic tote. Let it soak for a few minutes and flip it over, it should look like new. Then take a 5 gallon bucket of very soapy water to help neutralize the acid. Then I blow it out with the air gun. You could put it in an oven to help evaporate all the water to make sure.jmo

Here is how I watched my dad clean a pipe. Heat up with torch not quite red hot but hot and then drop it in a bucket of water all the crude floats out to the top of the water.

Back