hp for animal??

It all depends on whose dyno your tuning on, alky or gas, carb, head, and pipe combo. But I'd say anywhere from 14-16 on average.

I had one dyno at over 150 HP. NO JOKE
After i fixed my dyno it read 12.??.
The point is that i can make it read what ever i want.
HP numbers mean nothing unless you are comparing them from the same dyno.
There are a variety of dynos all over the USA such as water break, hydraulic, eddy current and inertia.
Having them all calibrated equally is impossible and in fact some don't know how or purposely mis-calibrate them them to read higher numbers.
To me the difference between a good motor and an average motor is about .2 HP
The winner is the biggest liar.

I agree with jimbo. Animals make less than 14 without a doubt and the average hp number is likely in the 12s. But it is nice to think you have more than the next guy even if its not accurate. Much like racers think their clones go 75 on a dirt oval when a 125 water cooled tag 2cycle won't go 80 mph on a 1000' straight.

Anyway my animal makes 14.2 on my builders dyno but I have been beat by an engine that only makes 12.5 according to the other engine builder.

Ditto on the previous posts -- dyno numbers can only be compared against the same dyno, same operator, and WITH correction factor.

I don't put much faith into big peak numbers since we rarely race at that specific rpm for any length of time. Average "area" of usable power over certain rpm range is more valuable information to me than that one big number. Yet, guys still want to hear that their engine made that killer power. I guess I just don't lie as good as some.... 12 CHP is certainly more believable to me, and our engines run with anyone's in the country. :)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I don't put much faith into big peak numbers since we rarely race at that specific rpm for any length of time. Average "area" of usable power over certain rpm range is more valuable information to me than that one big number. Yet, guys still want to hear that their engine made that killer power
with the KT100 my dyno charts would go from 10,000 to 14,500 RPM. This would be divided into three sections and the total horsepower for each section would be listed on the print out.

Other than that, I agree with you 100%.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

wow.. mine dyno at 20 hp. with 19 ft pounds of tork

That HP you mentioned is because you are from down South. There is less "friction" down South than up here in the Nort'. Hence the fact .......... less friction equates to more HP.

My opinion on Dyno's is they are a very good comparison tool, a certain cam compared to another in the same motor, same with carbs, etc. There was a well known Engine builder in the mid 90's from Indiana who built Flatheads, and they ran well. He was selling a couple at a local swap meet then, complete with dyno sheet. I happen to look at one ........................... 13.6hp. I chuckled. I am sure someone thought it was great and bought it.

Dave E.

I had one dyno at over 150 HP. NO JOKE
After i fixed my dyno it read 12.??.
The point is that i can make it read what ever i want.
HP numbers mean nothing unless you are comparing them from the same dyno.
There are a variety of dynos all over the USA such as water break, hydraulic, eddy current and inertia.
Having them all calibrated equally is impossible and in fact some don't know how or purposely mis-calibrate them them to read higher numbers.
To me the difference between a good motor and an average motor is about .2 HP
The winner is the biggest liar.

And it takes a lot of effort and money to get a dyno that is reliable, and repeatable within that .2.

Back