Humidity and its effects on horsepower.

alvin l nunley

Site Supporter
Let's say the barometric pressure is 28.8 and the temperature is 70 degrees. If the humidity is 50%, the horsepower correction number would be 1.018. If the humidity goes up to 80%, the correction factor would be 1.027. So with a 30 degrees change in humidity, the horsepower correction factor only changes .009. At 5000 RPM with a torque reading of 11.21 the horsepower would change .01 Hardly enough to make big claims about how the humidity affects your horsepower.

These are not my calculations, they're from a website that I found that has all kinds of neat weather related, air density related, stuff and how it affects horsepower. It's pretty heavy reading but they have some neat calculators to make it easier.
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp.htm

Dang, who been telling you this for years. Glad to see you found it on your own.
Certainly not you, that's for sure! I remember exactly who did tell me, Bob Lawley, an old racing partner of mine. I know exactly when, 1985, when I built my dyno. That was 30 years ago, so when did you learn about it? Probably from reading a post that I made here on Bob's. I've been making posts like this for a long time.

I see a lot of people still talking about humidity and its effects on their engines HP. New people come along all the time and I like to, occasionally, dispel the belief that humidity is something you need to worry about.

So, I guess there is some advantage by pitting down in the less humidity area, and run in the low humidity racing lane.

Hey Al I think air density is more important and getting the fuel air mixture right effects power more. What do you think about this?

Certainly not you, that's for sure! I remember exactly who did tell me, Bob Lawley, an old racing partner of mine. I know exactly when, 1985, when I built my dyno. That was 30 years ago, so when did you learn about it? Probably from reading a post that I made here on Bob's. I've been making posts like this for a long time.

I see a lot of people still talking about humidity and its effects on their engines HP. New people come along all the time and I like to, occasionally, dispel the belief that humidity is something you need to worry about.

Never claimed to be the one who told you, not an engine builder, but others have.
Ive known about it longer than you have been on Bobs, so don't flatter yourself.

SoCo Tire Treatments;
Never claimed to be the one who told you, not an engine builder, but others have.

in post #2, I must have, mistakingly, thought you did.

Ive known about it longer than you have been on Bobs, so don't flatter yourself.

It's such a waste of time for me to be concerning myself with anything you say. Outrageous demeaning statements like this deserve no response. But I can't help myself. In any case, that information has been lost.

Back