Hybrid Clutch on the 450, Why?

Ted....centrifugal clutch? Closest thing I know is the Rekulse. Had one on a 450 woods bike. Nice....start in gear...without the clutch lever....ease on the gas...off ya go. Also for any of you guys wanting to keep ur tranny on the 450's, they make a BTL (back torque limiting slipper clutch) clutch. Hold er wide open...chop the throttle...and she goes into freewheel mode...back on throttle...clutch engages back

if im not mistaken those are called split tranny setups and if you are using anything other than motorcycle chain to the rear axle odds are its gonna snap because the engagement tends to be a bit aggressive.

I'm running a slipper like that on my KTM, it slides before it engages the slipper. My engine builder said it's mainly used for down shifting on the Motard bikes. Can run in as hard as you want and drop gears and it'll spool up and you just pick up the throttle like normal and off you go. No rear tire hopping and sliding. Can't see it really being useful as I never downshift through corners, but it was already in my engine so I left it.

Too low of an RPM and it will kill it, not to mention it can be push started still. At least I've never heard mine disengage, from what my engine builder says there is no way not to hear it when it does. Sounds like a turbo spooling up and says it sounds wicked. I plan to experiment with it some this season and see how different driving styles affect the kart.

Staying with gear box and 520 chain

:cool:ABR I have that kind of split gear box clutch, if you stay in a gear too long as you down shift you will hear it, also at corner entry - 1) your on the pipe 2) at corner entry you lift like normal and in a split second, just before the inertia effect starts to bog - tap the throttle (Blip) if you will, not a shifting blip but a good punch, 3) then it's free wheeling 4) right back on throttle, hopefully you entered the corner in the right gear to begin with, test this - hit your marks - be sure to watch out for karts throwing chains, I have baked my fair share back in the day, I totally understand lighter rolling resistance, but there are sacrifices and compromises you have to make to accommodate the high hp engine, so I'm keeping my gearbox on so I can go real fast, and I'm keeping my 520 chain on so I can finish.

It seems I have sort of noticed some of those things, I'll have to pay more attention and try to focus more on it specifically.

Oh, I've seen devastation a chain can cause from these engines and high horse drag bikes. Wrong chain and you'll lose a leg, rather be safe than sorry. 520 was on these bikes for a reason, lol! So that's what I'm keeping.

It seems I have sort of noticed some of those things, I'll have to pay more attention and try to focus more on it specifically.

Oh, I've seen devastation a chain can cause from these engines and high horse drag bikes. Wrong chain and you'll lose a leg, rather be safe than sorry. 520 was on these bikes for a reason, lol! So that's what I'm keeping.

the only reason the 520 is on them is because the engine from the factory is turning a 19in. wheel. when on a kart its only spinning a 6in. wheel. requires less torque to spin a 6in wheel as it does a 19in wheel. i have yet to break the number 35 chains yet.

I currently run a CR450 with a Rekkluse slipper clutch and it makes the kart so much more driveable. I can start and warm it up in gear. I have the stall set at about 4500 which is perfect. I've also installed a 428 driver gear and run the 40 mm/428 gears. If you're going to run the std trans, the slipper clutch is a must!

the only reason the 520 is on them is because the engine from the factory is turning a 19in. wheel. when on a kart its only spinning a 6in. wheel. requires less torque to spin a 6in wheel as it does a 19in wheel. i have yet to break the number 35 chains yet.

We run 520 chain on the winged outlaw karts and they break (pulling pins out of the links, breaking masterlinks, etc). Most people have tried every brand on the market. But then again these are also CR500 motors that are on beyond hooked up karts. 35 chain wouldn't even make it to the green flag on one of these motors IMHO!

Back