I love my 206

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
just say'n!!

got it out this weekend on a 1/5 mile rough cement track... 1st time at full power after break in.. Wow... way more pow then the clone i had. just a practice/tune night, had to swap gears 3 time, i've found my new addiction LOL turning 15.8 laps think i can cut that by 1 sec... running 14/57 4.0714 maybe go to a 13/53 ANY TAKERS !

thanks 43, was wondering how long before i got a "TAKER".. seems there's been a lot of conversation about lower drive gears with same ratios being better. or at least maybe better off the corner... so i'm going to test that theory, and see if i notice a difference. might even see about a 12/49 if it even exists.

OK if you feel I got tooken, we have a lot of experience and look forward to your definitive evidence. I assume testing will consist of many laps back to back same day alternated as tires wear and track conditions change. If you cut 1 second of your time around a 1/5 mile track changing identical ratio for ratio wait until you change the ratio significantly. What maximum RPM were you reaching with your 15.8 sec lap(s) I assume you were lapping consistently at that rate.

wasn't intended to be got ya...I did thank you for noticing.
I was looking to see who did the math... was just opening the door to talk more about how maybe same gear ratio with different driver and gear combos may actually change the way the kart pulls off the corner. logically, and with out any experience, i think there should be little or no difference as it is the same or almost the same final ratio..

i understand that ACTUALLY changing the gear ratio will increase my top end speed... from what i've done so far.. i still have to make some changes in gears... at this point i'm flat foot or almost flat foot around the track... so a gear change is going to be a must. we ran out of time in our first session to get any other adjustments made.. Looking forward to getting back to testing soon... Max rpm was 6100 felt the limiter kick in several times... I do not yet have a micron to check actual numbers yet.. Thanks for the input anyway..

Without data aquisition, Alfano Mychron etc. you will find it hard to obtain the information required to be certain. Even a stop watch has enough human error that it is hard to gain accurate info when you are dealing in tenths of sec.

I'd like to see someone who doesn't believe changing the driver but keeping the same ratio, try it and prove that it doesn't affect lap times. I have done alot of experimenting with gear ratio's and gearing on dirt ovals since my home track is less than 30 minutes away. Everytime I have changed the driver to a smaller or bigger one and changed the rear gear to keep the same ratio or very close to the same ratio, lap times or top speed either one have changed, sometimes both will change and its not always faster either. Try going from a 14 driver to a 12 driver on the same track, back to back runs with same tires, air pressure and everything while only changing the driver and rear gear to keep the same ratio, and tell me your lap times dont get faster or slower. You might not be faster or slower around the whole track but you will notice that speed increases in certain areas and at the same time decreases in other areas. I don't know how to explain it, I just know it does work. If it didn't, then why do tracks that have a gear rule specify which driver and rear gear you have to use instead of just specifying a certain gear ratio everyone has to be on? Its because they know the size of the driver on any given track can and does matter and can be the difference in you winning or you running mid pack or in the rear.

W5R THANK YOU! this is exactly why I put this out there... I've not been around long enough to be able to put it in words or to really understand what I was coming up with.

If it didn't, then why do tracks that have a gear rule specify which driver and rear gear you have to use instead of just specifying a certain gear ratio everyone has to be on?
This also presevents the perception problems of me running 13/52 4:1 ratio and getting beat by a 14/56 4:1 ratio and then running out to buy a new set of gears, because that has to be why I got beat. Put everyone on the same gears, same tires, same engine, let the excuses and accusations fly.

Back