I need some advice on where to start my 5 year old in the Charlotte area.

My son is 5 and will be 6 in January. I like the Kid Karts but they don’t run them too close to me. I don’t want to drive two hours every race.

I like the outlaw winged karts but I don’t have 5K and the used market is terrible for outlaw karts.

No I’m between driving two hours to kid kart races and having a kart that is hard to sell. Or buying a flat kart and paying to modify it for my son. Hell I don’t even know if he could handle a full size kart, he is small for his age.

Can any local racers give me some advice of the route they took?

Don't think many places are allowing 6 yr old's running winged outlaw karts anyway, there are plenty of 6 yr old's in Jr Sportsman champ buggies, not a lot of modifications needed, peddle blocks and shorten break and throttle, and seat of course same can be done with a flat kart chassis.

2 hr drive is about right for karting. There are 4 tracks around me and lucky me they are all 2 hr drive.

What racing promoter said; if you wish to bypass kid karts, check for tracks running Jr sportsman champ plate classes in your area and see which one(s) have age classes that fit your situation.

We started ours in kid kart a few years back before moving to the red plate class with a full sized flat kart and don't regret it one bit. I feel our son was much better off getting some entey level experience in the kid kart. Red plate can be pretty intimidating for a 5 year old who has never been on a track. On tracks with adults in the low 12s and high 11s, red plates are turning low 15s and high 14s sometimes. The real fast Kid karts should be a few seconds slower. To learn the flags, on track awareness and to learn how to be comfortable going all out, kid kart is the way to go IMO. JR sportsman in the Carolinas is usually Jr 1 ages (8-10) and a little faster than the red plate class, so I don't think that would be an option for you quite yet.

Don't think many places are allowing 6 yr old's running winged outlaw karts anyway, there are plenty of 6 yr old's in Jr Sportsman champ buggies, not a lot of modifications needed, peddle blocks and shorten break and throttle, and seat of course same can be done with a flat kart chassis.

Actually Millbridge Speedway is an hour from me and they run a beginner box stock in outlaw karts. Problem is new karts get sucked up immediately and new ones are 5K.

if you don't want to buy the kid kart then find him a cadet kart....carry him to Kershaw and let him practice....you get about all the track time you want any day you want and you wont be chasing the track as you would at a dirt oval then when he learns to drive turning left and right then circle racing should be a breeze...you can carry him to gopro to practice too...they have an active kid kart class

I'm located in Upper Iowa and most tracks around me are anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 hours away from me. The weekly track I race at is just under 2 hrs away from me.

Back