Iame engine

ttownwideglider

Whats a iame 125 engine. The one I saw has a starter and remote strart and kill box, seems to be air colled and looks like a sudam. Were there several manufactors that made them. Is this like a kpv didnt Haddock have something to do with the developement of these. What kinda power do the make , can you use sudan parts in them

I dont think its a fireball could be wrong will try to post picture of it. Oh I cant post on here forgot.will try a put it on photobucket with a link

Whats a iame 125 engine. The one I saw has a starter and remote strart and kill box, seems to be air colled and looks like a sudam. Were there several manufactors that made them. Is this like a kpv didnt Haddock have something to do with the developement of these. What kinda power do the make , can you use sudan parts in them

There are quiet a few IAME 125 engines available now. KF1 KF2 KF3 KF4, also known as a Reedster. Basically they have different ignition, carb and pipes to restrict the power. KF1 being the most power but still very restricted IMO. The KF1 has 3 port exhaust while the others have 2 port.

http://www.wrightkarts.com/RunScript.asp?Page=334&p=ASP\Pg334.asp

I think he means the EasyKart 125 TaG made by IAME and run in the spec series in FL and a couple SW places... I had the chance to buy one and passed -- no chance of winning TaG with one, but it'd be a fun practice motor. I did wonder how it would do on dirt. Aprrox. 32-34 hp, electric start, low-engagement clutch. By contrast, the HPV produces only around 22hp, IIRC. The downside of the EK125 is that the carb has a fixed jet, unlike the water-cooled Leopard (its' cousin.)

FYI, if you can find the 1999 0r 2001 homogolation sheets for those yrs. you should be able to find out that there were 8 different Manuf's that built, or at least submitted specs for a 125c.c. Sudam class, trouble is that only the Parilla model was imported to the U.S.A. Now I don't think that air cooled versions are available anty more with the possible exception of the Riomar version from South America. The last new engine I bought from Choo-Choo, around 2007, says Parilla , built in S.A.

I really like the looks of that 60 cc engine. That would make a great junior engine. Too bad they didn't post a price. Anybody know?

I really like the looks of that 60 cc engine. That would make a great junior engine. Too bad they didn't post a price. Anybody know?

Assuming the price list is in Pounds, about 2300 US. Right above the pic of the 60cc is their price list. Click on it then scroll to the engines, it'll load.

was this motor on ebay? if so I saw it and it had newer style cases with an older style looking cylinder and head?

Whats a iame 125 engine.

IAME, Italian Americian Motor Engineering has been in 2cycle karting as long as I can remember. It was a couple of italian and amreician karting engineer that got together and started designing and building kart motors. They build all kinds of motors. When I started racing karts in'76 my dad had bought me an IAME 125. I want to say IAME is 40-50 years old. My last Reedjet is an IAME. TTown. If you want to build a bad a$$ 100. The IAME Reedjet is the place to start although you really don't need to touch it right out of the box. That thing will make you think you have 2 of your POS's bolted on!!!

FYi. $1895 out of the box!!!

IAME, Italian Americian Motor Engineering has been in 2cycle karting as long as I can remember. It was a couple of italian and amreician karting engineer that got together and started designing and building kart motors. They build all kinds of motors. When I started racing karts in'76 my dad had bought me an IAME 125. I want to say IAME is 40-50 years old. My last Reedjet is an IAME. TTown. If you want to build a bad a$$ 100. The IAME Reedjet is the place to start although you really don't need to touch it right out of the box. That thing will make you think you have 2 of your POS's bolted on!!!

if the komet was first built by IAME, then I remember them being available in the early 60s. That's here in the United States, I don't know when they were available in Italy.
I don't remember them having a 125 CC engine in 1976. I could be wrong, but I only remember the hundred cc and the b-bomb, which I remember as being 135 CC.

B-bomb, K-99, K-299, K-35, K-30, all 135 c.c.'s to start. You can see many of their engines in the IANE Museam site, shows pictures and yr. of introduction.

Hey guys, I bought the easykart 125 tag engine. It will be here tomorrow. That seller was great to deal with. He sold me the package (even battery) shipped for $468.
any set up or mounting issues I should be aware of? Its gonna go on my 1986 margay expert III chassis with fwb and 40mm axle. i currently run a modded predator so I do know that I will have to run this engine outboard, i think (sprocket on outside of motor). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven you are so correct on the IAME being faster and stronger then ttownwideglider 2 of his POS"s Yamaha kt 100 bolted on.. I was drinking some wine and I almost choke myself from laughing

Hey guys, I bought the easykart 125 tag engine. It will be here tomorrow. That seller was great to deal with. He sold me the package (even battery) shipped for $468.
any set up or mounting issues I should be aware of? Its gonna go on my 1986 margay expert III chassis with fwb and 40mm axle. i currently run a modded predator so I do know that I will have to run this engine outboard, i think (sprocket on outside of motor). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm the other guy who didn't buy it. ;) Anyhow, run 8 oz. castor (Maxima 927, Burris, or similar) per gallon of gas, and you can run non-ethanol 98 octane in it too. You'll have to run it outboard, like you said, but the low-rpm engagement clutch should be pretty trouble free -- just lube the inner bearing lightly occasionally. The starter brushes on the TaG part are known to fail, so a backup starter (outboard, handheld) would be a good idea, with the proper nut to fit the PTO nut exposed outboard of the clutch. The KT-100 starters should work.

This has about 2.5x the power of your predator, so be prepared for a learning curve on setup, driving, and handling. The only drawback is the fixed jet carby. If you're just running for fun, ditch that carb (but save it) and put a standard 2 jet Tilly or 3 jet IBEA on there, somewhere around 30mm should work -- just make sure the manifold matches and the pulse hole lines up from block through gasket to carby. Check the reeds occasionally or if performance starts being flaky -- I prefer carbon fiber. Hold it up to a bright light -- if there's more than 2 pinholes, replace it. Also replace if the edges are frayed or feathered. Replacements should be available from major kart shops.

As far as carb tuning, the inner (closest to engine) needle is low speed, the outer, high speed on a tilly style carb. I start with both around 1 turn, then once engine's idling ok and warm, I go on track and tune the following way:
Adjust low speed needle OUT (unscrew) until engine stumbles. This is called 4-cycling because it sounds marginally like a 4-cycle. Then turn it back in until you get crisp accelleration with no bogging, at about 1/8 turn at a time. Then adjust HIGH needle in same way so that at upper end it's 4-cycling, then turn in until you get a clean pull all the way through the rev range. Once the HIGH is set, you may have to readjust the low slightly. When ideal, I look for a small puff of smoke from off-throttle to accellerating out of the turn. Helps to have someone looking for you. I'll link a pic below for what I look for.
NOTE: this method promotes engine longevity, but isn't the MAX performance. Once you're skilled at driving and tuning, you can then start tuning the low and high by ear. It's hard to describe, but when you're right on the edge of being too lean, the exhaust note is more "crisp" or "cracking" and that's ideal, but you're at risk of detonation or seizure if the ambient engine temp or eir temp change. Since you have an air-cooled, the engine temp WILL change as the race goes on, a phenomenon called "heat soak". You'll have to enrichen it slightly on longer runs, at the expense of performance, but to keep your engine alive. That's why liquid-cooled are faster -- they last on the peak longer. Anyhow, that should get you started. I'd replace the diaphragm in the carby -- cheap insurance -- and get some extra reeds (don't drop a screw in the bottom end of the engine) and have fun! PM me if you need more info. The best adjective to describe driving such beasts on asphalt is VIOLENT. Get a rib protector so you don't break ribs. I'm serious. You'll thank me later.
~Ted

Attachments

• fogging onto front straight.jpg
    fogging onto front straight.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 154
Ted, thank you very much for your tutorial. I will bookmark this page for quick reference. I plan on throwing an hl360a on it. I found a brand new one on eBay for $100 shipped. I chose that for 2 reasons, one is obvious, the price, and secondly, that is what alot of the water cooled versions are running.

Now, do you know if there are any differences between the sudam and this engine? Besides the electric start? And maybe the limiter?

thanks again.

My guess is that the Sudam has some different porting and durations, but I don't really know. Might talk to Mike Cochrane on here -- he may have messed with 'em. He goes by AZRCR. Have fun!

Back