Icon stagger

Where should I start for stagger on oval flat dirt 1/12 mile track?
do you have any idea on the diameter of the turns? Are there any straight sections on the track?
If the track is just a circle, I calculate a good place to start would be 1 5/16. The tighter the radius, in other words; if there's any straightaways, the more stagger. Of course this is just a theoretical good place to start. The stopwatch, and some experimenting, will tell you what is the right stagger.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley)

Wow that low? I always ran 10 on left and 12 on rights last year on different kart. Maybe I should say the kart and driver are 380#. Do people usually do one side different pressures than other?

Im at 1" stagger now just measured. How do I get more? Do I have to buy different rims? Im running 10" on rights, 8.25" on LR, and 6.5" on RF but that rim didnt fit (hit spindle arm) so got an older 6" on it now. These are all inflated to 10psi.

I Never use a rim to size a tire I try to always shrink the lr prior to the race then if I'm at the track and need a little more I can always stretch a rr. Changing a rim changes the contact patch on the tire and will give you more handling issues to have to fix plus you have to spend more money to have multiple different size lr wheels.

If your lr measures 33, you can grow the right sides to 34.5
don't forget to change the gear to compensate for the bigger tire. A change of . .5 is a little more than one tooth, but of course you can only change 1 tooth, not a fraction of a tooth.

Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.(Al Nunley)

Air them up to 1/8 inch larger than you need them, sit in the sun and let them stretch. Let cool and air back down to race pressure and check. Repeat if necessary.

You need 10" on both right sides first. 8.5" left rear and a 6" LF. Try not to grow your rights. I pull out the valve cores and put my tires and wheels in the oven at 200 deg. Then take them out after 7 minutes and put them in the freezer then take them out of the freezer when they are cold.

For a small track it is best to get some grip in your setup and tires and run higher air like 4 and 5

Does it matter if right sides are not the same? As in rf is 1" smaller than rr? Just so as the stagger from side to side is what u want?

Those two right sides being different can make the difference between riding in the back and riding in the front. You want them exactly the same in every way.

They are now. I figured as much. Soooooo after diking with this all day I finally got the right sides at 35.25" total. Now I got the LR at 33.75" and am having a HECK of a time getting the LF to the same. Im thinking Im not going to get a 6.00 shrunk to that on a 6.5" width rim. Im prolly going to have to buy a new 5.00 tire and go from there arent I?

Wow...those are huge tires...will definitely need to put a 5" on the LF. A 6" tire on a 6,5" rim i couldnt imagine that. But youll be better off getting the right stagger.

Back