Jawa questions

That jawa on the wiggins kart was fast... But the 450 on the kart buff rode was almost as bad and it didn't puke its internals at the end. Another 10 feet and it would have been buff. Awesome race to watch and the drivers really were impressive...
Did the Jawa relieve itself on the track near the finish??

Injection stack? Intake? Whatever that piece is on top of motor came off...
Kart lost power out of t4...
No major damage that I saw...

Looked like between 3 and 4 something blew. Someone said it broke the case, but the was a big crowd and couldn't see for myself. It was a great race to watch. If the highlights cd has it, to would be worth it to get it!

It will be VERY HARD to win without it or you will need to be VERY LUCKY .
The JAWA engine is a very typical MC engine.....with high compression, and laid down on the chassis.
It's points of departure from the usual big 4 strokes is that it is a full 500 cc's.....and has 15:1 compression.
An engine, with 10% more displacement and a couple more points of compression, is going to be faster than a 450 cc engine...
other qualities of the racing program being somewhat equal.

It's not rocket science....or magic.....just more compression, more displacement than the 450's.
Most 450's have a 500cc optional jug, and piston/crankshaft.

The JAWA engine is a very typical MC engine.....with high compression, and laid down on the chassis.
It's points of departure from the usual big 4 strokes is that it is a full 500 cc's.....and has 15:1 compression.
An engine, with 10% more displacement and a couple more points of compression, is going to be faster than a 450 cc engine...
other qualities of the racing program being somewhat equal.

It's not rocket science....or magic.....just more compression, more displacement than the 450's.
Most 450's have a 500cc optional jug, and piston/crankshaft.

Paul, I think you know enough to see that's its a little more than just capacity and compression. The leading 450 at the gn was a 488 mx engine and the jawa chased everyone down. The ground it made up down the straights was amazing.

I don't think the jawa is a must have but speedway bike motors have been refined for the purpose of their design. They pretty much turnkey design. For simplicity, yeh if i was racing with you guys, without a doubt i would use a jawa style engine. I think it will just take some time for the up sized 450's to change the config of the engine to suit the application.

Yow was not even close to the jawa on the wankle and the jawa was not running hard at all. the wankle dual carbs or not does not make enough power to out run the jawa if both karts are right.

So what are we up against with the jawa. Jerry.. I know you must have dyno'd them

For what its worth the 450 at the GN that is being discussed is a 488 big bore motor still on gasoline and only 11.5/1 compression. A friend of mine is breaking out a 2012 CRF450 with EFI in just a few days. I'm super excited to see how it performs. Give the MX engine guys a little time to develop these for our needs and I'm pretty sure we should be able too produce all we need from them as well. Most places we run at we cant stretch their legs anyway and our current package comes off the corners pretty good already. What does it cost to actually have a nice fresh Jawa turn key on a kart anyway?
They are obviously very strong and have been refined for years, but what is the cost? That does matter to a lot of racers in our current economy. I know their is a guy right now trying to find someone to build him a mount and or set one up on his kart and hes having a hard time finding anyone to do it.

For what its worth the 450 at the GN that is being discussed is a 488 big bore motor still on gasoline and only 11.5/1 compression. A friend of mine is breaking out a 2012 CRF450 with EFI in just a few days. I'm super excited to see how it performs. Give the MX engine guys a little time to develop these for our needs and I'm pretty sure we should be able too produce all we need from them as well. Most places we run at we cant stretch their legs anyway and our current package comes off the corners pretty good already. What does it cost to actually have a nice fresh Jawa turn key on a kart anyway?
They are obviously very strong and have been refined for years, but what is the cost? That does matter to a lot of racers in our current economy. I know their is a guy right now trying to find someone to build him a mount and or set one up on his kart and hes having a hard time finding anyone to do it.

On top of that Tim I have the molds almost finished to cast and manufacture purpose made CRF 450 cases for karts. Big bore kits' stroke crankshafts, higher compression. Like you say it's all just beginning.

So what are we up against with the jawa. Jerry.. I know you must have dyno'd them

I will only say that if you can get triple digits then it is a little off I'm not going to post my dyno sheets for everybody to see the curves of my engines. I practiced my new engine at the Big O race and had to take it off because of the butterfly screw coming loose in practice I thought I had something else wrong with it we didn't have time to get to it for some time and didn't race it for the rest of the season. I have since fixed the minor issues and dynoed it again it is now ready for it's new owner. I just need to sell the other one I have now

A Jawa is just part of the equation. Takes more than a bunch of hp to win.

Bud Wilson Won the Grand Nationals with a Buller 131 !! And Yes it takes a Complete Package to win a Big race,A Big Motor Alone will not do it...Unless your racing Teams that has no Clue and What it takes to win In a Big Field of UAS Champions. I've been Racing over 20 years and If you have everything Perfect you don't have to have a JAWA to Win... BUT !! Big HP does Help if you have everything On the Money..

I will gladly take a motor package slightly down on power if I don't have to even look at it or tune on it at the race track. That way my driver and I can focus on set-up and tires. Now if you can have both that's even better. I think Ol' Daryl Waltrip said it best..Give me all you got..if I don't need it I wont use it! We have ran a lot of different engine packages over the past 13-14 yrs of karting and tore up our share of stuff. Good usable power along with reliability are both at the top of my list these days.

I will only say that if you can get triple digits then it is a little off I'm not going to post my dyno sheets for everybody to see the curves of my engines. I practiced my new engine at the Big O race and had to take it off because of the butterfly screw coming loose in practice I thought I had something else wrong with it we didn't have time to get to it for some time and didn't race it for the rest of the season. I have since fixed the minor issues and dynoed it again it is now ready for it's new owner. I just need to sell the other one I have now

hey jerry how does 108hp coming out of a turboed 450 pushing 7psi on 112 octane with a 13.5:1 ratio piston with stage 2 cam sound? is this enough power.

Got to get tires and set up right like a couple people have said if u don't have the total package big hp will just go to the back Cruz.

Back