Joan Rivers

Captain11

I think a lot of people seen it coming. Rest in peace Joan
You brought me many a tears of laughter
Now it's many tears of sadness.

I have yet to see anything on the news about a friend of mine that was killed in Afghanistan yesterday. What makes her more important than someone that dies while serving?

Not trying to take anything away from Joan Rivers, but Mr. Smith is right. We as a society place WAY too much priority on mere celebrity. Please pray DAILY for folks like the one mentioned that put it all on the line EVERY DAY for all of us back here at home. There are many others we never hear much about as well, like the Americans held captive in North Korea because of their faith, and the American Marine held in Mexico, that most have already forgotten about. Meanwhile, our society seems to be more interested in hacked photos of so-called celebrities. We are pathetic.

Here it comes, only today i was saying to some friends why the US government still have Justin Beiber in this country after all the dam wrong things he is doing,...is it because he is a celebrity ? .....A celebrity is a man like Derek Jeter .........Respect respect and respect.......................

And for the ones still serving in war torn areas all over the world, I pray everyday my son in law, who is flying blackhawks in afganastan comes home safe.

godspeep joan.. and to your friend and his family..

I have yet to see anything on the news about a friend of mine that was killed in Afghanistan yesterday. What makes her more important than someone that dies while serving?

No disrespect here but nobody said she was more important, shes just more well known.
I tell you what I would really like to see and this goes for everyone on these threads. When someones friend, wife or husband dies protecting us, Start a thread to let us know when tragedy strikes. Maybe you can even tell us a little about them. I know theres a lot of respect for our service personnel on this board.

So Mr smith Be proud of your friend and start a thread for your friend and let us know more about him. And if it's possible post a picture of more happy times.

And AZRCR I pray for the safe return of your son in law.

No disrespect here but nobody said she was more important, shes just more well known.
I tell you what I would really like to see and this goes for everyone on these threads. When someones friend, wife or husband dies protecting us, Start a thread to let us know when tragedy strikes. Maybe you can even tell us a little about them. I know theres a lot of respect for our service personnel on this board.

So Mr smith Be proud of your friend and start a thread for your friend and let us know more about him. And if it's possible post a picture of more happy times.

And AZRCR I pray for the safe return of your son in law.
Well Said!

Here it comes, only today i was saying to some friends why the US government still have Justin Beiber in this country after all the dam wrong things he is doing,...is it because he is a celebrity ? .....A celebrity is a man like Derek Jeter .........Respect respect and respect.......................

Derek Jeter is no celebrity....just an overpaid guy who plays sports.

Derek Jeter is no celebrity....just an overpaid guy who plays sports.
Please refrain from abusing drugs or liquor when sitting in front of a computer. It makes people say crazy things. Jester is the definition of class and for sure is a celebrity. Had a chance to see him play in person this year. Watching him with the fans before the game is something every person could learn from.

My celebrities are the ones with the body armor and defending our country or have died for our country. How about all the law enforment folks out there keeping us safe on the streets. How about the doctors and nusres saving all the sick people in the hospitals. The people on TV are just high paid peple. Thanks to all them

Please refrain from abusing drugs or liquor when sitting in front of a computer. It makes people say crazy things. Jester is the definition of class and for sure is a celebrity. Had a chance to see him play in person this year. Watching him with the fans before the game is something every person could learn from.

No drugs or liquor here, and don't appreciate your comment! If you want to idolize the sports players in your fantasy world, that's your option.
Spending three tours in Southeast Asia, my perspective on celebritys and heros are a little different than yours.

Celebrity; "a famous person". From Websters New World Dictionary, that says it pretty well.

Military men/women, Policemen/women, citizens who go above and beyond to my thinking are Heroes for their accomplishments-service, a much higher status than "celebrity".

No drugs or liquor here, and don't appreciate your comment! If you want to idolize the sports players in your fantasy world, that's your option.
Spending three tours in Southeast Asia, my perspective on celebritys and heros are a little different than yours.

Lol. Idolize? Fantasy? Sounds like you have a vivid imagination as well. I said class. Never said heros in my post. A little bitter arent you. I just stated what I saw when I saw Jeter play. You made up the rest.

Celebrity; " My Dad ". From my New World Dictionary, that says it pretty well. My Dad served 21 1/2 years in the Navy Retired Master Chief First Class Petty Officer. I don't think he would know what a hero was. As with all folks that put on a uniform they ask for nothing. Joan has done her part in this world, sports figures get to do what a lot of people would like to do . Play sports have fun and yes get paid to do it. Hero's hum i don't know about that . Soldiers ask for nothing, but respect.

Here's my take on the whole Soldiers/Police respect thing, having been both - I expected no more respect than anyone would give another person and I always tried to return that same respect to everyone - sometimes we all miss the marks, no one is perfect.

In the case of Viet Nam vets that was not something that was given to them, many of them were either drafted or Patriotic Citizens who believed it was their duty to serve. They did not deserve the wrath to which many of them were exposed.

In the case of some of the issues with the VA, this respect has not been given to our returning vets.

In terms of respect there are a lot of folks who deserve it - how about those electrical linemen out there in winter storms putting up downed lines in subzero temps - as an example.

We should just respect, not idolize each other.

HJ and AZ - my condolences for the loss of your friend, and my hopes for your son-in-law's safe return. God is sovereign, but I still try to put my $.02 worth a couple times each day for all folks who have faced tragedies and travails and their families and friends, yours will be specific requests.

And you know whats really sad, is very few think of the hardships on the dependents.. no matter what jobs their spouse is in.. my 6 year old granddaughter isn't handling the separations so well... I think they term it separation anxiety, (I call it missing her daddy)..

Back