Junk yard gems

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
seems like the right place to put this...
So i still consider my self new to karting..and small engines. one of the local salvage yards has a "lawn mower" section. More like every thing small engines and lawn related. Electric and gas golf karts, rider mowers, tillers, weed eaters and so on.

I went looking for a flat head carb. in the process i found lots of small kart style motors, Honda, predators, briggs, and such..
the big question is unless there is a conversion chart someplace (Al ??) How do we find out what fits what, with out having a life time to touch everything?
Interchanges or compatible parts. simple to complex. like can you pick a set of valve springs off a particular motor that are changeable with say a clone and stronger then stock. or maybe some motor has large valves that would be considered oversize valves that would be used in an open motor?

things to talk about..

Honda GX140 thru 200 all heads interchange, flywheels, con rods, cams, rockers.
140, 160 flywheels 25* BTDC 200 20* BTDC
200 crank has longer stroke, you will find a few 140 that have a strong stroke and they drop in the 160.
200 cam has more duration,
200 lifters are taller than 160
carbs 140 venturi .591", 160 venturi .525" 200 venturi .573"
Jets, E tubes all interchange
140/160 piston skirt interferes with the 200 crank
early 160/200 used 1.5mm rings late 160/200 use 1mm rings
In a junk yard you will find many variations of crank PTO ends, straight 3/4, 19mm, 20mm, tapered, threaded, and short.
The 196cc clone can be any mix of copied Honda parts.
You generally haul a lot of junk home don't pay too much.

Briggs engines usually have better valve springs in them from the factory, except the 5hp flatheads. The Intel 206 example, those springs are something like a 22-26lb clone spring but a little bigger around. Briggs have 6mm valve stems also I believe so those valves might can be turned down or cut down to the size you need for clone if you find some bigger than clone and predator valves

Some of the GXV lawn mower engines have Aluminum flywheels that use the band brake and the fit on the GX and clones.

THANKS kart 43 and others.. this could be a great place to gain salvage yard info.. What is a GXV? push mower? rider? what equipment, and how would I identify it in a pile..

GX style engine with a vertical crankshaft usually with the engine brake handle cabled to a band brake around the flywheel.

Yep , those older Honda vertical lawn mowers have nice aluminum flywheels . Used to B all U could get in the 90's . And the ZH8 -GX160 heads have either a 14 or 18cc chamber which is also a great find .

With the gxv 160 flywheel do you need anything else to run it on a gx200? Do you need the coil to match?

Back