Kbo6 vs. cre9 pipe

Was wondering the differences I should consider between these pipes i have a stock bore and stroke 125 sudam on methanol with buller daul billet carbs running opens dirt oval on usually smaller tracks

They’re almost identical. Either one is the standard for 125cc or higher motors on dual alky carbs. Do not run anything else.

That set up, on a small dirt track, has got to be a handful. Hard to believe you can tell the difference between the 2 pipes. You're a better man than me Gunga Din. lol

The 9 has a wider power band. I like the 6 better also. But if I wanted to over rev the engine I would use the 9. I have both and have switched back and forth on the same day. The 6 will pull a higher gear. But this is road racing.

I was told at one time that a stock sudam will not work with a kb06 pipe. I had been told that the exhaust port not being cut requires you to run the flex so short that you will battle temp issues.... If I remember correct this was told to me by Kermit. Perhaps I remember wrong, but I do know that I have a kb02 for mine and the temp issues I battled with were gone and no one could pry that pipe from my motor now lol

I was told at one time that a stock sudam will not work with a kb06 pipe. I had been told that the exhaust port not being cut requires you to run the flex so short that you will battle temp issues.... If I remember correct this was told to me by Kermit. Perhaps I remember wrong, but I do know that I have a kb02 for mine and the temp issues I battled with were gone and no one could pry that pipe from my motor now lol
I doubt Kermit has told you that. Most people running stock Sudams are using KB06s from him. you can use a KB06 on may different engines, even on smaller engines, given you use the right flex length and with a smaller engine you can close one of the holes too. You can have temp issues with any engine and any pipe. Each particular engine and even kart is different. I have had temp issues with my stroker Sudam running everything as it was "supposed" to be run but added just a little flex and they were gone. Another thing many people misses on dirt is tires. If you are tight that can contribute to increase temps even more than other factors, so consider your chassis, setup and tires too, and again there are not 2 engines that act exactly the same way. The KB06 is a great pipe for Sudams. I am sure Jack Burroughs could give you more info on this.

Last edited:
Agreed with Rainman. The KB06 has insane fuel draw and it will make or break your motor if you don’t run enough flex. You could be a 1/4” short in flex and a tight chassis and lugging will give a stuck piston in no time. Of course EGT and CHT will give you a heads up long before that happens, but it doesn’t take much to create a perfect storm in a very short amount of time on an air cooled. I personally run the CRE9, but have been told by Mike that if I’m in a bind the KB06 is just as good. And I have no problem throwing on a KB06 on anything. Even a KT with a hole taped off. Great pipe.

I tried the KB06 with a smaller engine and it ran better with one hole closed, Chuck, at least on a stock one. mtk 1977 you are right, not much difference in flex to make a mess. Don't ask me why I know, lol.

Definitely some guesses on what Kermit May or may not have recommended

if you want to know the facts about the KB02/KB06 series for a stock Sudam, simply talk to Kermit.

I’ve ran a stock Sudam since 1999 based on first hand advice from both Kermit and Haddock. I don’t believe there is a better pipe for racing a stock Sudam on dirt ovals.

Definitely some guesses on what Kermit May or may not have recommended

if you want to know the facts about the KB02/KB06 series for a stock Sudam, simply talk to Kermit.

I’ve ran a stock Sudam since 1999 based on first hand advice from both Kermit and Haddock. I don’t believe there is a better pipe for racing a stock Sudam on dirt ovals.
Conpletely agree, my friend. He also builds my engine so I follow his advice. For the stroker 131 he recommends the KB L6 but I do not have one though so I use the KB 06. I had a couple and both have worked good. Mike Nicosia and Jack Burroughs also have great experience running Sudams though I do not remember what pipe they were using. Hope you are doing OK in CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back