Kid kart setup

Clamanna32

I have a birel kid kart and we are running pavement oval. I want to start scaleing the kart. I just bought scales so I am new at this and using them. If there is any info on percentages and how to get them I would greatly apperciate any help I can get. Thank you in advance.

What we found is that you can knock yourself out with all sorts of scaling set-ups, but the bottom line is that the karts are so much slower than other classes and the restricted tire sizes and ridiculous air pressures, that you race, etc etc, will overcome even the best "set-ups." Put a good "baseline" set-up on the car and let the kid get comfortable. The more comfortable the driver is, the harder he will drive the car (THAT is the key to winning kid kart races.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com

Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry

765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I cring seeing a post like this, because It always concerns me Dad's all gung Ho how fast little Johnny can go when Little Johhny is no where ready to even thinking about going as fast as possible, Like Brian say's get him comfortable make sure your comer has good take off turn him loose and let him have FUN.!!

Not to disagree with what the other posters have said, but I would think the easier the kart is to drive the better it will be. He's not going to be comfortable in a kart that pushes a lot or is loose.
What kind of scales are you using and what software?

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Al I read around on here fairly often, but I don't often post.. I agree with you but for racing promoter and Carlson did yall not read his post???? He is simply asking how to start scaling his sons kart. I get a laugh out of you guys jumping on here all the time knocking someone.. The two I guess you could call them answers have absolutely nothing to do with his question at all.. When should a "gung ho dad" try to make his son better or faster???? Yall are so smart! Clamanna don't take any of my post against you it is intended to be the opposite.. You ask a question and these dudes have nothing better to do than give there stupid opinions... I cant give a answer to your question about birel set up for kids because we run dirt ovals and I personally have never seen a birel I am assuming you run pavement... I would call birel and talk to them. As far as scaling I think it is excellent you want to work with your kid for both you and the kid...

Sorry to have offended you Iceman.

Nothing wrong with scaling a kid kart have at it....just saying that the importance is diminished by lack of driver experience.

It won't push or be loose.

When you run the high air psi needed in kid kart tires, the only set-up problem you will have is all the bouncing. :)

Not taking away from having a "drivable" car, (which is important) but in reality, set-ups are just not as important with kid karts until the driver is getting beat by set-up, which is highly unlikely.
It's all about getting the driver up to speed (which is very slow with the Comers with a fixed gear ratio.)

When we ran kid karts (last 2 years) we never touched the car set-up. Not once. We won all but one race over those 2 years and it was not because of set-up.
Laps, and lots of them, is what will win kid kart races.

Sorry you thought my opinion was stupid. Just thought that since we actually raced kid karts and have a couple years experience with them, that I could shed some light for the original poster. Also though I answered his question (even if it was stupidly.) ;)

I agree with all the comment here, both sides. Excellent that you are concerned about getting your kid in the best kart possible, that will be very important someday. Kids will lose interest if they are in a kart that can't keep up.

I also agree that scales are overkill for a kid kart. Focus on driver comfort and safety first. Worry about scales when he gets into the next class and is getting beat on set up.

But since you asked and no one gave you an answer, here is where I would start: As much left side as you can get without being over the weight limit. 48%ish nose, around 55% cross. If he can spin it out, lower the nose% You won't get good accurate scale numbers for a kid kart, no one really worries about that.

Im not sure about what the class yall are talking about is all about. But I have raced myself along with two of my sons one of which started at 4 yr old. My kids have won about 40 races in two and a half years. and ive heard all the stories "don't work on your tires don't work on your set-up" bla bla bla... The dads that were saying that kids didn't win and the dads were mad at me and then started crying to the tech men... Now with that said we race on dirt and even the rookie class may be faster than this class.. I don't mean to attack you two. My frustration is with a lot of the posts are just people bashing or saying nonsense when they have no idea what is going on.. They are probably the ones getting lapped every week LOL..

Not to disagree with what the other posters have said, but I would think the easier the kart is to drive the better it will be. He's not going to be comfortable in a kart that pushes a lot or is loose.
What kind of scales are you using and what software?

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.

If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

That's what Brian points out Al, Kids karts that does not show up they pretty much all handle the same, the Speeds all in the driver that's ready to go and the MOTOR.

Something else to consider here guys....... The dad needs to gain experience too. And playing around with scales in a class that it "doesn't matter" is probably a good place for dad to learn what not to do as well as what to do. Clamanna32, have at it !! Put it on the scales and experiment. Your experience needs to grow with your little drivers. Hopefully the driver stays with it long enuff that when it does matter, you have experience scaling a kart.

Al I read around on here fairly often, but I don't often post.. I agree with you but for racing promoter and Carlson did yall not read his post???? He is simply asking how to start scaling his sons kart. I get a laugh out of you guys jumping on here all the time knocking someone.. The two I guess you could call them answers have absolutely nothing to do with his question at all.. When should a "gung ho dad" try to make his son better or faster???? Yall are so smart! Clamanna don't take any of my post against you it is intended to be the opposite.. You ask a question and these dudes have nothing better to do than give there stupid opinions... I cant give a answer to your question about birel set up for kids because we run dirt ovals and I personally have never seen a birel I am assuming you run pavement... I would call birel and talk to them. As far as scaling I think it is excellent you want to work with your kid for both you and the kid...

I have no problem offending you if it helps dad realize what's up and keeps Little Johnny SAFER, You need to Understand I've been in this Deal for along time and have seen it all including over gung Ho dad's chase there kids right out of wanting to race, Brian explains it perfect unless you just need to know the numbers no point in scaling it.
I'm not accusing him of that I'm just pointing it out.

Good Luck !! Pay attention to roll speed the Motor and let the Kid learn and have FUN.

Something else to consider here guys....... The dad needs to gain experience too. And playing around with scales in a class that it "doesn't matter" is probably a good place for dad to learn what not to do as well as what to do. Clamanna32, have at it !! Put it on the scales and experiment. Your experience needs to grow with your little drivers. Hopefully the driver stays with it long enuff that when it does matter, you have experience scaling a kart.

Great point BUT, he's not gonna get that experience scaling a Kids Kart complete different Beast.

Clamanna32 my son has raced a Birel in the Kid Kart class for 3 year and now he is driving a Birel in Jr 1. We run on a road course, with lots of sweeping turns and some tight turns depending on the track set up for that week. I have found that if you use the baseline set up on the Birel 25 (kid kart). And you can push it with the driver in it with full gear and minimum track weight, on a straight road, and the kart does not go left or right. (You might have to adjust the tie rods) I know it is not technical, but it fun for the kid and it works. That should give you a good starting point. Also go to the Birel America web site. Once your driver is consistent on time, (Tenth of Seconds), then you should start on working on the stagger for the oval track. Ask him what the kart is doing....He might come back and say "It's Drifting" or "It just wants to turn left". Or like my son "It’s perfect Dad, I'm off the track, can I go play now". But get some feedback, and let him and you learn the lingo of track talk. It is a great family bonding weekend and enjoy. Leading the pack will come in time.

Back