KT 100 ignition issue

Hey folks , how yall doing ? i have a Cooks Racing Engines Yamaha KT 100s w/ OEM ignition coil and TCI ignition box , NGK spark plug and a Walbro WB3A carburetor . All with very little run time since being set up a few months ago . When set up the engine was phenomenal ! Simple and easy to start , once warmed up and out on the road a couple slight tweaks on the high end needle and it ran perfect . I live in upstate South Carolina and for the past 2 months between the weather , work , and working on other peoples cars and lawn equipment my play time on the go kart have been more than extremely limited until this past weekend . I got the kart out , mixed up fresh fuel 20:1 using ethanol free gas , and Lucas High Performance 2cycle Oil . I filled the tank about half way , pulled and cleaned the spark plug . opened the fuel cock and spun the engine over a few times to get the lines filled and get fuel to the carb . Same as Ive done since the first firing after the build . I reinstall the spark plug , flip the kill switch to on and start spinning it over with my kart starter . Within the first 10 revolutions it fires and stops and fires a couple more times and i stop for a few to let the starter cool off and i give the low end jet about an 1/8th turn to the lean side and try it again . I spin it over for about 2 seconds and it fires , and tries to run but dies . I try spinning it over maybe 4 more times and stop for a cool off and remove the air box . When i sit the air box up on the end and out of the way i notice fuel , actually a puddle at this point that had poured out of the air box and now a smaller puddle under the kart at the carb . Much to my surprise considering this had not happened in the past so i shut off the fuel and begin diagnosing . Carb being my suspected issue i pull it and take it down . Sure enough what do i find but some brownish looking gooey sludge in the pump side . Had to be either the last remaining drops of fuel that were left in the carb from the last time i rode it (close to 2 months) or possibly condensate that had collected due to fluctuations in the between season temps here and some recent torrential down pours , whichever it maybe because the kart is stored inside 24-7 and the fuel tank gets drained as do the lines and the engine i let it run to burn any left over fuel out of the system before it even sits over night . Anywhoo .....i clean the carb up , shoot about a half can of carb cleaner through the circuits and gently blow it out with canned Co2 not compressed air from the air compressor . I put the carb back on readjust it to Steve Ohare's recommended settings , as it was running perfectly before and go thru the afore mentioned start up procedure . I repeat everything to the letter as i did before and as i have everytime since the build a few months ago . Semi excited and full absentminded what do i do but but fail to sap the plug wire back down on the plug . The last time i try to spin the engine over i notice this . Now at this point i have tried to start the engine maybe 6 times , had covered the holes in the air box , and had pulled what i hoped to be a dry spark plug but those were dashed against my shop floor as i loosened the hose clamp that holds the air box on and fuel began pouring out this time WITH THE FUEL COCK TURNED OFF ! Today , Sunday 6 ,25 , 23 i go out and i proceed to take it apart and get the excess fuel out of the air box , carb , and engine block . No major changes in anything , just letting the fuel accumulated from a pulse pump carb that consequentially was choked with no ignition source and attempted to be started . So far this morning ive cleaned and rebuilt the carb cleared all fuel from system , replaced NGK plug with new one , and reconnected everything . Had no issue whatsoever getting it to start at all but am getting a slight pop back through the carb when bumping the accelerator peddle on warm up all the way into a hot engine when i go from idle to WOT ! I got all day but it may be a month before i get the chance to ride again . Some one point me in the right direction as i have been blinded by my responsible life as a father and husband and great fixer of all things in the neighborhood that get broken ! Thanks in advance !

So. Nowit runs all be it terribly ?
Did you take the needle out .
Highly possible its plugged under the welch plugs .
Ignition is usually a yes or no thing .

So. Nowit runs all be it terribly ?
Did you take the needle out .
Highly possible its plugged under the welch plugs .
Ignition is usually a yes or no thing .
You know something ..... I sure didn't ! I didn't even think about taking them out at all in fact . I will usually at least back needles off maybe 1/2 turn wen I'm cleaning a carb and then blow it out real good with some canned CO2 and really have kinda knocked welch plug roval off the roster so to speak but I think I'll go do that right now while the old lady gone to get groceries .It may be a few days man but I'm still here . We dealing with some serious heat at work so they have **** down 1/2 of 1st shift and 1/2 of second shift so I'm working all 3rd and part of first to cover a floor manager that's on maternity leave so I barely got time to sleep eat and 💩 lately . Thanks again flattop !

Plus the little screen is super tight. It could be plugged and look fine .
The diaphragms harden up?
I completely rebuilt it new everything. Just didn't remove the needles or Welsh plug . Which I'm putting on my Crocs now so I can go out to the shop and knock it out and and shoot some carb cleaner at it .

I’ve had three things cause the problem you described. The kill switch and a TCI and or the Coil! If you spun engine much at all it will weaken coil without a plug attached. I’ve never tried it on a Yamaha but I have other kart motors and cars,
Put the coil (not the TCI box ) in oven for 12 hours at 200 F degrees . Let it cool put back on and try it

Not much magic in there -- just make sure the sequence of....

- diaphragm, and its gasket
- pumper, and its gasket
- circuit plate flapper, and its gasket

... are correct.

PM

walbro1.jpg

Back