l 206 vs

Racer-71

My son races jr. Champ . Most are running a unrestricted clone . I have clone but not real impressed with it. We tried our flatheads and havnt had very good luck againts the clones. And I was wondering how would a.l206 do against a clone. They do not list the l206 I our class but just wondering. They do list the animal with 3 hole gold restrictor.
Thanks
Randall

I have personally ran faster than an open clone with my LO206 during qualifying and he was on prepped maxis and i had whatever maxis i could find. Don't know how it will do with a restrictor plate and with the different kart but hey i would try it.

I find it interesting that a track would put a restrictor plate in the animal (3 hole gold) to compete against an unrestricted clone. ?? I don't build many/any clones so I don't know how far off they are on power unrestricted straight up apples to apples with the animal. I do know that the flathead with a 25# weight break is very close to the 3 hole gold animal. Most tracks out here offer a 20# break for the flatty vs the 3 hole gold animal on champs. Thankfully, we do not have any clones on champs locally.
Now, to address your question specifically; the track that we run at weekly allowed an LO206 to compete with our sr champs (against 3 hole gold animal & unrestricted flathead) last week, and the 206 won both heats (going away) and finished second in the feature. The driver has little experience in a champ and the car was probably sub-par, so I'm thinking that the engine carried him to a much better than expected finish. This was against very stiff competition. Needless to say, it caught the attention of several racers. I don't recall the weight break given to the 206 (I'm thinking it was 20# or so), but I am thinking it will be less in the future.
I've seen the LO206 run against the clones and eat them up. I've also seen them run pretty even. Back to tires and set-up. Maybe someone that builds them both could post some actual dyno numbers out there for some better proof.
If your track would allow the 206 in your champ class, it might be worth a shot. Otherwise, I'd suggest the 3 hole gold and let the clone guys go their way -- just my opinion.

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Thanks to all
340 lb flathead
340 lb 3hole gold animal
365 lb clone big pipe
Just wondering if the 206 could be a option I have not talked to the track owner to see if they would allow me to run a 206. I am new to karting. And have been told nothing will run with the clone .just looking for others opinion.
Once again thanks to all

The 206 will run with the clone -- no doubt -- BUT, remember you are limited to 6100 rpm. If your track is real tight and extra revs are a benefit, it'll be tough to beat the unrestricted clones.

Again, looking at the weights, makes me wonder how they come up with this. A flathead will not run with the 3 hole gold even up -- they need around a 25# weight break. Why not unleash the animal instead of penalize it with the plate then give it a weight break. Something goofy right there. But hey, it's not my track -- talk to the promoter and see what he has to say about the Lo206 for the class.
Anytime you start mixing engines in the same class, you're going to upset someone.
I sure do miss the simplicity of the old flathead days. :)

I completely support the LO206 because the clone classes are a mess, specially in the South. Now with all respect to different opinions I think a 206 would have any chance against the clones as they are runnning them right now in the big dirt oval series down South, believe me. I have tried both and can't compare. Now on asphalt seems like the low end of the 206 is fitting pretty well the twisty sprint tracks. In anmy case faster or slower it is not worth it now to run clones if you have the option of running a 206. You will save the mess of tech, cheating, and rebuilding, but if you do want a clone get one of the top builders and pay what they ask you. In the long run you are gonna save on blown engines. JMO

Back