L206 Clutch Problem

Mac11

New guy here from WA state! Raced my new 206 yesterday for the first time and the inboard mounted GE clutch locked up. The needle bearing walked out of the drum and pinches against the circlip so hard that pushing on and off the scale, the crank rotates. Asked around the pits and nobody else has ever had the problem. Took the clutch apart and pressed the bearing back in and it did it a second time. This time I put a couple of drops of Briggs oil down between the bearing and the clip and it helped but it's not the answer. Can I use a drop of green locktite or do you guys have a better solution? I normally run shifter so the 4 stroke stuff is all new to me. Still fun running with the clones as I am the only 206 here so far but this thing generated a LOT of interest in the pit. I let anyone who wanted to give 'er a go the chance and I'm certain next season will bring more on board.

He stated that in the first post.
Mac, I had the same problem with a brand new Noram GE a few yrs back. The issue is the casting itself. I called them up, sent it back and a new one appeared. I still run a GE on the clone, but changed to the Hilliard Flame for the 206. Noram is a good company, just give them a call.

I think I saw someone put a bunch of pin punches on the outer race of the pressed in bearing with a pin punch to stop it from walking. But call Noram and tell them the problem.

Loctite® Sleeve Retainer 640 or Permatex® High Temperature Sleeve Retainer is the product to use. Had the same problem with a Horstman clutch about a year ago.

Just wondering, could you maybe have been slipping it at too high an rpm? Things like this can happen with too much heat.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Slipping maybe! Coming to the 206 on a whim from shifter is a giant step backward I've been told. I really am having problems with the line change between the two and that could be my problem. Running both classes back to back Saturday was a stretch my dinosaur butt had a hard time making. After the responses you all have given me, I am going to try a hit of locktite then race it again the 23rd to see what happens. I will pay attention to the slip possibility as I drive. Thanx Al!

On my clutch, I pushed the bearing almost completely out of the gear, applied the sleeve retainer then pressed the bearing back into the clutch while making sure I did not get any on the bearing rollers. I used a vice and sockets to push the bearing out then back in.

I to ran my first 206 race this weekend, I have always used a Hillard Fury and absolutely love it, very tunable and nothing inside to break, try one.

I actually used the Permatex® Product that I got from NAPA. It was green. Be sure it says "Sleeve Retainer". It's completely different than regular loctite.

You know you're not suppose to slip that clutch right? It should slip a little leaving the grid then stay locked the whole race. Check the Noram web site for springs and weight settings. You should have the heavy shoes.

It does have the heavy shoes and purple springs. I don't really have a good feel for this kart yet but maybe I'm getting some slip by trail braking. I did let quite a few guys try the kart out since it is the first one here and that may have amplified the bearing problem. I'm taking it off today and adding the Permatex green retainer. Last race here next week then it goes up for the winter.

The Green Permatex Bearing Retainer did the trick. The kart cleaned house on the whole clone field thru the heats and the main on its second outting!! Thank you all for the help!

Last edited:
Back