L206 with no pulse-new engine

I had a new L206 I ran once back in april this year. Sold it to a customer, guy never paid for it. Engine sat till a few days ago. I sold it again, got the engine mounted on the kart. Went to fire it up and nothing. I realized the fuel pump wasn't working. changed that, again nothing. Then realized no pulse coming from the pulse fitting. I checked the valve lash-was about 3-4 thousands. I sprayed started fluid engine fires up, then dies. Did this a few times.
I put oil into the cylinder, and wd40. pulled it a few times then engine fired up. Runs mint lol. Guessing rings didn't seal?

rings probably rusted and stuck in the ring lands...just thinking out loud. Wouldn't be a typical ring sealing/wearing into the cylinder problem - even with the rings stuck, it will have plenty of compression/ crankcase vacuum (dare I say that on here) to pulse the fuel pump.
Glad you got it figured out though. :)

Added info: Agree with Steve about the inlet needle being stuck -- you threw me off by saying that it had no pulse coming from the pulse fitting. :) That would be really rare -- I just tried checking for pulse on a 206 I have here on the shelf with no oil fill plug even installed...Still had pulse pressure (likely enough to pulse the pump.)

Maybe the inlet float needle was stuck and not allowing fuel in, very common problem? I think the fuel pump will run fine without even having rings, they operate with very very low +/- pulse.

Steve

Take the fuel inlet line off the carb and crank it over or start with a bit of fuel in the carb throat to see if fuel is flowing. Im going with the needle stuck in the carb and working it around knocked the needle loose.

Another thing I do to diagnose a fuel pump problem is to simply take the fuel line off at the carb....pull the motor over like you're attempting to start it, and you should see fuel squirting out of the end of the fuel line (ie not just a trickle.)

Lately if Im going to have the engine setting up for anu length of time I put WD 40 thru the inlet of the card and fll the bowl up, seemed to stop the sticking issue.

Yeah there was no fuel at all coming from the fuel pump. I even blew in the hose primed it, then pull start-nothing. 3 fuel pumps I tried. Then my finger over the pulse fitting and I felt nothing. But even as the engine is running there doesn't seam to be to much fuel dumping in the carb like an animal.

You guys are prob. right about the needle sticking though, I did spray wd40 straight into the carb when it fired also. It was a mind boggling waste of an hour lol

If the float needle is stuck it can't pump fuel because there is nowhere for it to go. It would do the same thing if you put your finger over the fuel outlet right at the fuel pump. It won't even fill the fuel pump inlet line.
If you hook up a garden hose to the water supply with the valve shut off at the outlet end and then turn on the water at the house nothing comes out. When you turn on the valve at the other end of the hose nothing but air comes out until the water gets there.

Troublemaker ........... LOL Calling Al, calling Al, report to Briggs OHV.
LOL I saw that! I have no idea what is meant by it. "What we have here is a failure to communicate?" (Cool Hand Luke)

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

If you switch over to a gravity feed tank to the carb, and let the fuel pump simply pump gas into a gas can or container so you can see it, its easy enough to figure out the problem. I've seen little bugs nest in hoses and fittings and plug things up, all kinds of crazy ****.

I filled the gas line then blew into it while full of gas. I then filled the line and blew gas through the pump into the carb. I was trying everything trust me lol. When I say I had no pulse, i had my finger over the pulse fitting while cranking the engine and there was nothing.

Even if the valves had negative lash or the compression release were stuck open I can't imagine it not having enough pulse to run the pump.
That's an odd one for sure.

No pulse at the side cover fitting??? I'm with Brian, I have never seen or heard of this. Is the fitting blocked / clogged on the inside of the engine, SOMETHING must be blocking the fitting I would think.

The black plastic fuel pumps Briggs uses are almost bulletproof IMO. I always keep a spare or two around, but rarely do they get used. Needle and Float kits are used much more than a new fuel pump.

How about the pulse hose, is it clear ( no oil collected in it and stopping the pulse ) and / or not kinked? I use a hose from a Motorcycle Supply house for my pulse lines, it is much stiffer than the Tygon line common in fuel lines. I have seen the Tygon collapse from the vacuum ( there's that word again - LOL ). The place that has a really thick catalog of bike parts sells it, can't remember the name right now.

Good luck, hope you find the problem soon, I know this can be frustrating but you will get it.

Dave E.

Agree with DGE53, The fitting has to be stopped up or you have to have a pulse there. You could take the rear oil filler plug out and turn the engine over, You should have a pulse there? If you do then the fitting has to be stopped up. .

The fitting does not have to be plugged.
Example: Measure the vacuum on the pulse fitting with a vacuum gauge (water manometer)
Then take the oil fill plug out and measure it again.
What do you think will happen?
Next take the valve cover off and measure it again.
On the other hand you might be surprised how well the pump works with a weak pulse signal.

Back