lets make mowing fun again!

i have this crazy idea of making my own remote controlled lawn mower because im too cheap to pay someone to mow it and too cheap to buy the 3000 dollar kit. wouldnt it be fun to mow the grass and be able to sit on the porch in the shade?

i was thinking of using 2 car wiper motors for drive/trun and castors for up front. i want to use the motors in the back to drive and steer. ill shut one off so it will pivot (along the lines of a skid steer). i have no problems with the mechanical end as far as getting the drive system and frame made up. i do however have very little knowledge when it comes to the electrics.
i have this wonderful idea of making a radio controlled lawn mower. it would make a tedius chore into somthing fun to do!

i have an old rc car i could use the speed control of and/or the steering servo. i also have a few micro switches lying around. so here are my questions.

i want to use a 12v car battery for the power supply to the motors. my speed control is good for 11.1 volts. if i hooked it all together, would i fry my speed control?

my other option was to use 2 batteries. 12v car battery for the wiper motors and a small rc battery to run the speed control and a steering servo. i was thinking of placing a micro switch under a steering servo so when i actuated the steering servo the arm would push the lever on the micro switch and turn on a motor. could i run 12v thru a micro switch kind of like a light switch without it blowing it up?

i also dont know how much power 2 wiper motors will draw. they should have enough guts working together to push a mower around a yard.

if anybody has any knowledge about electric things id love to hear from you

I'm not very good at remote control stuff, and I love driving, so I actually enjoy a little mowing on my riding mower, of course. If I had to push mow I would feel differently. But best of luck on your project!

You probably would want to run the micro sw. to two starter silonoids that way the micro sw. is only carrying control voltage instead of the motor load.

Micro switch activates a relay then the relay activates a solenoid, then the solenoid sends power.............That's all for now ......

i have this crazy idea of making my own remote controlled lawn mower because im too cheap to pay someone to mow it and too cheap to buy the 3000 dollar kit. wouldnt it be fun to mow the grass and be able to sit on the porch in the shade?

i was thinking of using 2 car wiper motors for drive/trun and castors for up front. i want to use the motors in the back to drive and steer. ill shut one off so it will pivot (along the lines of a skid steer). i have no problems with the mechanical end as far as getting the drive system and frame made up. i do however have very little knowledge when it comes to the electrics.
i have this wonderful idea of making a radio controlled lawn mower. it would make a tedius chore into somthing fun to do!

i have an old rc car i could use the speed control of and/or the steering servo. i also have a few micro switches lying around. so here are my questions.

i want to use a 12v car battery for the power supply to the motors. my speed control is good for 11.1 volts. if i hooked it all together, would i fry my speed control?

my other option was to use 2 batteries. 12v car battery for the wiper motors and a small rc battery to run the speed control and a steering servo. i was thinking of placing a micro switch under a steering servo so when i actuated the steering servo the arm would push the lever on the micro switch and turn on a motor. could i run 12v thru a micro switch kind of like a light switch without it blowing it up?

i also dont know how much power 2 wiper motors will draw. they should have enough guts working together to push a mower around a yard.

if anybody has any knowledge about electric things id love to hear from you
Look into rc robot motors.
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/store.html
electrical interference form the engine will be your biggest hurdle.
Your speed control will also be a weak link

Let's make mowing find again and that implies that it was once fun. I don't remember that time. LOL

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Let's make mowing find again and that implies that it was once fun. I don't remember that time. LOL

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

when i bought my first house, it was fun. i was proud to own my own personal part of earth that was mine free and clear that nobody could tell me what to do with as long as i kept it tidy. now its more a chore than anything LOL

thanks for the replies. the robot marketplace was just the thing i was looking for. i have the good idea in my head. im going to use the transmitter from my rc car and a speed control that can handle up to 24v that will control 2 or 3 motors. then hit up the junkyard for a couple wiper motors that have a flat spot on the shaft for a set screw and a few pulleys to make a belt drive. i think it should work just fine.

my other option was an old power wheelchair with junk batteries. that has everything i need. all i would have to do is flip the motors around to the outside, add the transmitter and bolt up the mower deck. problem with this is i cant find a cheap wheelchair. i dont wanna spend more than 100 bucks on one

Mowing is the ONLY free time I have.. I'm not going to do anything to shorten or stop my free time..lol
I even get disturbed while sleeping and my dailey constitutional.. :)

Get yourself a zero turn mower and it will shorten your mow time AND make it more fun.

If you insist in the remote-control thing, find a zero-turn mower and put forward-and-back controls on the two joysticks. And cameras front and back so you can see what you are about to run into.

problem i have with a rider or a zero turn is i have to fit in and out of a gate thats 4 ft wide with a hard left as soon as you pass thru the gate. thats why i was thinking remote control. i could drive it under the workbench in the garage when im done so it would be out of the way

Having 'Fun' means being innovative and creative in my book, and apparently....you feel the same! The only thing I can offer in where you are attempting to go here is too not under-estimate the 'weight' versa's the use of motor(s) selected. Oh yeah....$$$ too! :)

Back