List of safety equipment?

Thirdlife

Just got my JR a kart and trying to figure out the gear needed for a 9 year old? Is there codes they have to be at?

Just got my JR a kart and trying to figure out the gear needed for a 9 year old? Is there codes they have to be at?
Yes, helmet has to be current Snell rating.
There's a man on this site that sells Bell, and their kid helmets are light.
A good rib protector, and a Valhalla neck Brace.
And gloves.
If you're in a champ kart a different set of rules apply
It doesn't spec the Valhalla neck brace, but IMO it's worth it.

Yes, helmet has to be current Snell rating.
There's a man on this site that sells Bell, and their kid helmets are light.
A good rib protector, and a Valhalla neck Brace.
And gloves.
If you're in a champ kart a different set of rules apply
It doesn't spec the Valhalla neck brace, but IMO it's worth it.
No special shoes or bodysuit?

No special shoes or bodysuit?
A suit is up to you, the kids like them it only has to be abrasion proof for an open kart, and fire proof for a champ.
Shoe are also your option, I always got my son wrestling shoes, or puma tennis shoes, they're cheaper than buying racing shoes when you have to change them every season.
Most wear jeans and a kart jacket, but if he wants a full suit, thats up to you.
Here's the helmets.
This is a good dude, and trustworthy.
https://4cycle.com/karting/threads/black-friday-sale-ultimate-racing-helmets.132390/

A suit is up to you, the kids like them it only has to be abrasion proof for an open kart, and fire proof for a champ.
Shoe are also your option, I always got my son wrestling shoes, or puma tennis shoes, they're cheaper than buying racing shoes when you have to change them every season.
Most wear jeans and a kart jacket, but if he wants a full suit, thats up to you.
Here's the helmets.
This is a good dude, and trustworthy.
https://4cycle.com/karting/threads/black-friday-sale-ultimate-racing-helmets.132390/
You’re the Man. Thanks a ton

I'd get your kid a suit just for now. If he feels it's too much then let him just do a jacket and jeans or some other tough pants. Nothing baggy though, I learned the hard way as a teenager that baggy pants snag on everything, they create drag that slows you down, and most good tracks don't allow pants with holes. My son runs champs so his whole get up is fire retardant, I run an Impact jacket with jeans (as for shoes, wrestling shoes work amazing but I wear my air force ones because I have weird feet and they work with the body I run), helmet I'd definitely be getting a bell or an Impact. You get what you pay for on a brain bucket. Don't cheap out on safety gear especially when they're are young.

As someone mentioned above, if your kart is a champ, there are other safety gear you will need. Make sure you check the track rules where you are going to run.

We have been places that require a HANS Device, check the date codes and fire-rating of all of your gear and belts, and the like. While other tracks check or allow different standards. We just went ahead and made sure we would have everything so he could go where we want- you can never spend too much on safety.

Back