LO 206 Bogging on the straightaway

Maranche

Background info: LO206 Jr 1, weight 225 lbs, red slide, fuel 85, oil royal purple. (will change to Briggs & Stratton Synthetic 4T Racing Oil) tires Hoosier, clutch Inferno Blaze 2 white, 2 black springs, maximum elevation of 4,438.98 ft.

When coming out of the last turn either going up or down the straightaway, the engine will start to break up approx. 1/2 way down the straightaway. I have adjusted the float height to approx. .860 as he was hit in a past race and it was off by approx. 1/4 inch. I have changed gears front and rear with to no avail. Do I need to have it placed on a Dyno?:confused:

Last edited:
Marc

This is just a thought have you been checking the choke lever we he comes off track ? I know are choke lever wants to lift on the track .
Also I don't think its a bod more of breaking up .

Bill, It is tight and in the down position. I always check it before he leaves the pits. I can concur with that, more of a breaking up.

Jim, I am going to order the float gauge from you. just give me the shipping price zip is 84029

Last edited:
Can you better define, "breaking up" down the straight? Does that mean an intermittent stumble, or a loss of power, and does that happen through the complete range of throttle?

OK, at what point does it recover, and run again, and at what point (20' of travel or 100' of travel) or does the motor quit? BTW, assuming your using a conventional engine mount?

The float numbers shared are questionable

22.2 = .874 (and ok) but the drop at .860 seems wrong (s/b more) so sounds like the motor is starving for fuel.

I can ship it in a small USPS priority mail box for $5.25

The float numbers shared are questionable

22.2 = .874 (and ok) but the drop at .860 seems wrong (s/b more) so sounds like the motor is starving for fuel.

Bill and I were working on it this past test and tune. Ill change all of the fuel lines and clean the carb, rest, then re-measure once I receive the Adjustable Float Gauge from Jimbo at www.fastermotors.net

Where do you have the two overflow tubes vented to. It is quite possible you are presurising the carb bowl and flooding the carb.

Jimbo,
I want to make sure I understand your answer that the the float level is too high. Does this mean with a higher float level there is less fuel in the bowl and in effect the motor is using more fuel than can feed to the bowl and therefore stumbling for lack of fuel?

Maranche,
5600-5800 rpm. I thought this was a LO206 Junior. Isn't limited to 4100rpm, or am I confused?

I'm sorry.
You need to adjust the float to reduce the amount of fuel in the bowl.

Back