LO 206 rules

Rikersd

Does anybody have any reliable info as to when the 2022 LO 206 rules will be released. The 2021 rules were released on December 14, 2021.

I am particularly interested as I have an engine with the holographic seal (with black wire) and hoping that block will be legal for 2022 as it was in 2021. I'm hoping that it will be, considering that LO 206 engines and parts are difficult to obtain right now. Declaring engines with the holographic seal illegal might put a lot of racers in a bad spot for 2022.

My opinion is that with the lingering effects of the pandemic and the lack of availability of new engines and parts it would really be dumb for Briggs to make any engines illegal anytime soon. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Agree with Jimbo on this...It would be counterproductive to eliminate engines due simply to being older seals, especially right now based on lack of availability of new engines.
I don't know that the black wire seals are scheduled to be phased out any time soon. The original seal engines (short blocks) were given more than a year to be compliant...I suspect that'll be the case "if" and "when" the second seals (black wire) would ever be phased out.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Agree with Jimbo on this...It would be counterproductive to eliminate engines due simply to being older seals, especially right now based on lack of availability of new engines.
I don't know that the black wire seals are scheduled to be phased out any time soon. The original seal engines (short blocks) were given more than a year to be compliant...I suspect that'll be the case "if" and "when" the second seals (black wire) would ever be phased out.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
I agree with you and Jimbo 100% and I'm hoping that will be the case. Thanks for your thoughts!

For discussion sake, I was informed this past race season by fellow racers that work directly with L206 race engine program at Briggs & Stratton along with participating in their kart testing sessions that Briggs is in the process of developing a whole new race engine platform based somewhat off of the current L206 race engine program. My guess, it will be slightly larger cc engine in the range of 212-225cc block size to match what some of the other engine manufactures are currently selling(Predator, Wildcat, Tillotson, etc.). So in that respect, I firmly believe that current engine seal rule will remain as is until then and you shouldn't have to worry about it for now. It will be interesting to see what new platform engine that Briggs comes up with.

For discussion sake, I was informed this past race season by fellow racers that work directly with L206 race engine program at Briggs & Stratton along with participating in their kart testing sessions that Briggs is in the process of developing a whole new race engine platform based somewhat off of the current L206 race engine program. My guess, it will be slightly larger cc engine in the range of 212-225cc block size to match what some of the other engine manufactures are currently selling(Predator, Wildcat, Tillotson, etc.). So in that respect, I firmly believe that current engine seal rule will remain as is until then and you shouldn't have to worry about it for now. It will be interesting to see what new platform engine that Briggs comes up with.
I hope not for at least a couple of years. I know a lot of people just got their motors refreshed

Some things to think about.
Briggs couldn't keep up with the demand before the pandemic and especially now. How would they be able to make yet another engine?
How upset would people be if they discontinued the current 206?
Maybe they should discontinue the 1/4 midget engine? That wouldn't PO anyone right?
Want more power? They already have the WF engine.
If you want more power i don't thing a 212 or a 225 cc engine going to make that much more power than a 206. Sure you can put a bigger cam, carb or a better head on it but we all know what is going to happen to reliability?
I'm thinking if you want enough power without blowing it up you are going to need somewhere between 300 and 400 ccs so you don't have to spin it too high.
I think they better be very careful with what they do so they don't screw themselves as well as all of us loyal followers.

In part Briggs has themselves to blame for the fiasco that has been the clone when they eliminated the flat head. No matter what the real reason was.
They lost 1/2 of their market share because of how that deal was handled!
Then there's the question of what tires do you use on this kart with all this extra power ;)
How long will they last and what's the cost?
Be careful what you wish for!

It’s really to bad Briggs didn’t seal the WF like they did the 206. It’s a great engine with a bit more power and just as reliable. We have a great group up here in the North East. Our club actually seals our engines so we don’t have to worry about tampering. We run MG reds and Lecont reds getting at least 3 race days out of them.

Does anybody have any reliable info as to when the 2022 LO 206 rules will be released. The 2021 rules were released on December 14, 2021.

I am particularly interested as I have an engine with the holographic seal (with black wire) and hoping that block will be legal for 2022 as it was in 2021. I'm hoping that it will be, considering that LO 206 engines and parts are difficult to obtain right now. Declaring engines with the holographic seal illegal might put a lot of racers in a bad spot for 2022.
The inside info that I was privy to is that the only changes to the Briggs 206 rules will be the addition of a couple of sentences dealing with the fuel line between the carb and the fuel pump. there was no mention as to when they will be released. By the way I'm doing a hands on tech class at the OVKA on Feb 5. open only to tech inspectors. the class will pratice all tech tools, plus some new ones, chucked full of information and the examination of illegal parts.

I was privy to inside info last week in Florida, the only change to the Briggs 206 rules will be the addition of a rule covering the size of the fuel line between the carb and the fuel pump. By the way I'm teaching a class for tech inspectors only at the OVKA swap meet on Feb. 5. It's a hands on class using all the tech gauges plus a couple of new ones, binder full of info, examination of illegal parts and four practice engines to sharpen your skills.

Just curious, what are the "new gauges" you have developed? Maybe some pics? I would love to attend the OBKA swap meet, but a bit of a haul from Oregon.

There is another sharp tech guy out there that develops some gauges to check things compared to a known stock part, I always tell him "make three because I will gladly buy the other 2".

Just curious, what are the "new gauges" you have developed? Maybe some pics? I would love to attend the OBKA swap meet, but a bit of a haul from Oregon.

There is another sharp tech guy out there that develops some gauges to check things compared to a known stock part, I always tell him "make three because I will gladly buy the other 2".
pics coming next week. the pics were moved to classifieds, personal items, l 206 tech tools

Last edited:
The specs of any gauges would come from the rule book and/or specs from a "known stock part" which is also part of the rules and can be found by simple measurements. The tools, including all go/no go gauges are just a means to make the process quicker and more consistent for the tech inspector.

In addition to the tech class that Bob is doing this year... I'll be doing the same LO206 Tech class in conjunction with Lewis Stout and AKRA certification that I've done at the OVKA show for the past several years. This class is open to tech men AND racers wanting to learn more about tech.
It's unfortunate that the two classes got scheduled at the same venue at the same time -- I'm not sure how that happened, but it is what it is.
I know Bob is well qualified and will do an excellent job with his instruction.

At some point, we really need to all get on the same page and get some accreditation... possibly regional instructors to update and train up new tech men.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407

In addition to the tech class that Bob is doing this year... I'll be doing the same LO206 Tech class in conjunction with Lewis Stout and AKRA certification that I've done at the OVKA show for the past several years. This class is open to tech men AND racers wanting to learn more about tech.
It's unfortunate that the two classes got scheduled at the same venue at the same time -- I'm not sure how that happened, but it is what it is.
I know Bob is well qualified and will do an excellent job with his instruction.

At some point, we really need to all get on the same page and get some accreditation... possibly regional instructors to update and train up new tech men.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Brian, that's crazy. Yeah, there were 5 pages of "National Tech" protocol written a while back, complete with structure & accreditation plans. You were part of the team that contributed, thank you! A clear need, a few ingredients missing :(

Best of luck w/ the tech class!

Are we talking new rules from Briggs or from the all the series that support them in hosting racing series?

Back