LO 206 shop rental for Batesville

Im looking for a good LO 206 to rent to take to batesville MS thanksgiving weekend, if anyone knows of a good shop with national motors willing to rent a motor for a weekend could you let me know.

Thank You
John Hobson

Steve baker.
Baker racing engines.

I don't know about a national motor. I have just seen his post about motor rentals for Briggs type engines. If it's a 206. It should be sealed, correct?

What am I missing ? How do you get a national LO206 motor ????? I thought this was a spec class that had tight rules on what can and cannot be done .

The beauty of the LO206, it's an International motor, so run it domestically, or take it with you to Mexico, Australia, or the Pacific Rim. One of the few motors ever produced that is compliant in so many languages! Heck, even the US can agree on rules, THAT was no easy task.

Like everything else in this world that is mass-produced, I'll bet if you dyno tested 10 engines there would be some that are really good and some that are not so good. There may even be one or two that are a lot better than the rest. I don't know this for a fact, but every engine I have ever seen complied with this rule of thumb. Not only engines, but also carburetors. You put 10 carburetors on a flow bench, and you're going to find one or two that are better than the rest. Match that best engine, with that best carburetor, and who knows.

The KT 100 is a most notable example of this rule of thumb. While most KT 100's are about the same, there are really good ones, and really bad ones. I can't see how the L0206 can escape this rule of thumb. It's just the way things are. The person who can afford to dyno test 20 L0206 engines, and flow test the carbs, is going to have a definite advantage. It's a fact of life.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Well, Al, Once again we'll have to disagree. I HAVE dyno'd 20 of them and while there can be some difference right out of the factory box, once you have done the basic set-ups on the carb, intake, lash, etc, they are all EXTREMELY close. Close enough that it's not worth the bother of hand sorting parts. I have seen a carb once in a while that is ever so slightly better on the flowbench. Doesn't mean that it always makes more power on the dyno, however.
Now, you are correct in saying that some are really good and some not so good if you are referring to out of the box. I've seen as much as 3/4 CHP difference. Most of that is easily corrected. You can definitely increase the lesser engine more but the greater engine can only be improved a little. End result is two very evenly matched engines.

The LO206 is hardly mass produced. It comes down a separate line at the factory and is certified by the assembler/inspector to exacting specifications and requires his signature at the bottom of the page with the various checkpoints that is provided with each and every engine from the factory. Of all of the LO206 engines I have checked, not one of them differed from the numbers on the combustion chamber or piston pop-up. That is remarkable to me that all of my measurements were exactly the same as Ryan's (or whoever else from the factory) checked with their gauges.
My dyno is pretty accurate in my opinion and very repeatable. My comment above about a one season old engine that has had the valves and seats touched up being a "national" engine is pretty much spot on. The very best LO206 numbers I have seen (peak and average) have been on seasoned engines that were just touched up. Brand new, I think the ring package and cylinder is still too tight. After they get some run time, the valve seal goes away.
I can't speak for the consistency of the Yamis because I have built very few of them and the last one I went through was probably 15-20 years ago.

I have to ask what are you doing to the intake and etc ?

(I HAVE dyno'd 20 of them and while there can be some difference right out of the factory box, once you have done the basic set-ups on the carb, intake, lash, etc, they are all EXTREMELY close.)

Rule book
Intake manifold
Intake manifold – max length = 1.740 inches min to 1.760
inches max
Intake manifold – bore diameter = .885 inches min to
.905 inches max

The intake tube to port, and carb to intake tube must be aligned. There is adjustability in the mounting holes.

Didnt mean to stir up a hornets nest i was told that there is a difference in the motors from one out of the box to one that has been dynoed with carb adjusted and valves set and that has some laps on them, i do know that any motor that is brand new is not as good as one that has been run and loosened up. Just wanted to find the best motor i can to go to batesville to give my son a few more classes to run thats all.

Didnt mean to stir up a hornets nest i was told that there is a difference in the motors from one out of the box to one that has been dynoed with carb adjusted and valves set and that has some laps on them, i do know that any motor that is brand new is not as good as one that has been run and loosened up. Just wanted to find the best motor i can to go to batesville to give my son a few more classes to run thats all.
and you were told right, it goes without saying that if the carb is jetted to the ambient air density, (and why the valves have to be set is beyond me. Especially after telling me how that little engine builder at the factory was so careful with everything) every track is not at sea level, and obviously, after the engine has been broken in, when the rings have seated, and the compression pressure is up, the engine is going to run better than one out-of-the-box.

There are engine builders, good engine builders, that can build 20 engines, very good engines by the way, and yet you know that all 20 of those engines don't win. Of course there are a lot of circumstances beyond the engine builders control, drivers for one, that prevent all of them from winning, but if the truth be known, I'm going to bet that some of those engines are better than others.

There are some, with an agenda, who may deny this, but I have my doubts.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Al, part of the specs on the LO206 is spec jetting. You can not change either jet or the emulsion tube. Only carb changes allowed are float height, idle adjustment, fuel needle adjustment (five clip positions) and idle air/fuel needle adjustment. And of course carb to manifold alignment.

We all can agree that there is no such thing as a perfectly straight line, no doubt the same theory applies to motors regarding performance. It's impossible to duplicate with certainty in a production motor, cam numbers, along with friction coefficients, so there must be variables. The point is, the inconsistencies have been mitigated, then diminished through hand-measuring cranks, rods, heads, blocks, carbs, along with other components. The beauty of this process, the variances in these new motors are no where close to what racers will see when comparing new sets of tires with a stopwatch.

A little help here - does or does not the 206 have a rev limiter? I think it does and that's why it supposed to be a reliable entry level motor. And the reason it is at BATESVILLE this year. Hopefully we will get a decent turn out so that we can see what this motor has to offer on dirt. Reviews on pavement are very good especially on close racing thru-out the field so lets see what happens.

JAM PROMOTIONS

If the LO 206 is an entry level motor then what is a clone?

Back