Lo 206

mark1

Can this motor be used in the 12-15yr old clone class or do you need to get the jr motor with restricted carb . My question is whats the diff in motors from the jr to local motor. Can the jr be upgraded into the local 206 by carb change or is it in the slide restrictor

The junior engine has a 4100 rev limiter and is used on kid karts. WKA Jr classes would use the senior LO206 engine (6100 rev limiter) with the appropriate slide. Green slide for the 7 to 12 year old class and yellow slide for the 12 to 15 class. Also need to install a locking cap on the Carb.

The LO206 Jr engine can be converted to a senior engine by changing the coil to the 6100 RPM coil and installing the correct carb slide.

thanks, for youre response . that makes sense . Waiting for OCP to finalize rules for clone and spec or open tires. rule . I have a Lifan engine now but running the bigger track I hear the gear is different . We run oval at 13 /54 . Do you know what they would run gear wise on the fast track and chicane type track ?

Glad to see your are getting into the LO 206.
You will be happy you did.
It will provide years of trouble free service for you with out any of the issues associated with other engines.
It will provide equal power for you and your competitors. It will not have constant rule changes or require you to update with new parts to stay competitive.
It's the best thing to happen to karting in many years.
If you have any more questions either ask them here of fee free to email or call me.
Best of luck and have fun.
Jim

So now you have eliminated the engine as a source of more speed. Theoretically. So now what do you do to win races?

Most obviously, you've changed the area in which you're going to spend your money. First, this leaves more cash available to spend on tires. I'm pretty sure the kart builders will see that you have more cash available. This could possibly lead to higher prices on karts. The track owners might see you have more money to spend on entry fees. Engine builders would probably raise their prices to get some of that freed up cash.

Of all the things to spend your money on, if we build a bell curve, I'm pretty sure that the engine costs would be on the low side of the curve. Engines are cheap compared to karts and tires.

Al, you have completely missed the point. Today's karting world is populated by a lot of people not necessarily in the mechanical genius realm. That's not a criticism just a fact. As a result when the engine rules allow " creativity" they must pay for this allowance. Anyone in business of any kind knows that " time is money". In 4 cycle racing karts and tires are not of the importance you attribute to them. Stay calm, you are still correct, there are no rules preventing anyone from spending money. The "rule" of diminishing returns is the limit but is often ignored.

Al- you might be missing the point. The cost of karting has been well-chronicled, in some series expenses exceed what it costs to run a car at the next level. The purpose of putting a ceiling on motor costs is to pull racers back to the sport, not get them to bury dollars elsewhere. Safe, fun, and affordable racing is really NOT a new concept, instead one that been elusive for entry-level racers interested in the sport. The 206 won't be saddled with the hope to "fix" karting, instead create an option that puts fun & affordability back into the sport. Based on the numbers, and the smiles, it seems to be working!

I really don't have anything to add that hasn't already been said. :)
If you have any specific questions, please feel free to give me a call.

For what it's worth, as an engine builder and kart shop owner for nearly 26 years, I think the LO206 program is exactly what is needed in karting today. I see customers spending their money on things they "want" (ie new body work, graphics, etc) than on things they "need" (ie latest engine rules update, newest imported parts, constant rebuilds, etc.)

I've found that with the reduced engine package cost (whether we're talking the LO206 today, or the clone when it was first introduced,) guys are spending more with tracks (racing more often) rather than less. For both track owners and racers, this has to be a good thing!

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Al, you have completely missed the point. Today's karting world is populated by a lot of people not necessarily in the mechanical genius realm.
Adding hyperbole to enhance your theory is wasted on me.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion and I to mine. My opinion is you have completely missed the point.

I'm pretty sure the kart builders will see that you have more cash available. This could possibly lead to higher prices on karts. The track owners might see you have more money to spend on entry fees. Engine builders would probably raise their prices to get some of that freed up cash.

Do I understand the Nunley Hypothesis correctly? If I buy a cheaper car, I can expect more expensive car washes.

If anyone thinks a LO206 takes all the guesswork out of racing, they obviously have not raced one. The RPM limiter does a good job of extending the lift of the engine but in no way limits the racing experience. With limited horsepower, all the other aspects of racing come more into effect. One or two teeth on rear gear can make huge differences. A kart that is free in the corners can drop rear teeth and reach higher speeds in the straights even though still rev limited. The driver becomes more important since minor mistakes on the track can not be overcome by raw horsepower. Tires pressures and kart setup also make major differences and will really keep you on your toes to maintain the free rolling kart you need to carry that corner speed. I am a firm believer that experienced drivers can improve their driving by getting in a LO206. We run IAME X30s in Man Cup and Pro Gas in Gold Cup yet we have 3 LO206 engines for keeping our driver crisp and our tuning spot on! By the way, we also have 3 clones collecting dust in the corner. They started out great but we soon lost interest trying to keep up with the changes.

That should read "life of the engine" not "lift of the engine". By the way, we run the LO206 engines on Coyote karts that are vintage 2000 models and still are fast.

The driver becomes more important since minor mistakes on the track can not be overcome by raw horsepower.

Very good points, I completely agree with everything you said, except the above.

As stated, it seems to assert that in a higher HP classes the importance of the driver is diminished.

No, I believe he means that small mistakes that add up quickly with lower HP are easily compensated for with higher power. I have seen lots of people that upset a kart and can easily make up for it with a little go pedal and in a lap or two be right where they were. Make mistakes like that with a 206 and they cost you considerably more in the long run. You can't make up the time you lost in a lap.

This is more evident in the limited and open class where you have to usually find the edge of power and drive it there. But, usually having a little extra in reserve if you get out of line you can usually push the go pedal and make up a little bit of ground if you do everything else right. The animals can be this way, the clones can too. They don't take as long to pick back up to rpm from mistakes and get going again. As I said a lap or two with them and you can usually be back where you were no problem. The 206 will generally show those mistakes quite a lot and take you some time to recover from.

Back