lo206 compression release

95 shaw

Site Supporter
How common is it for lo206 to lose compression release?

I'm sure it is a tech item. Not sure if that is the problem.

Rope pulls hard when trying to start. Just purchased this used, Was unsure if I would need a new shortblock.

The spring will flip over and disengage the compression release feature. Not real common but we have seen a few in the Animal and World Formula engines over the years do this. We have also seen engines that have oil gummed up around the compression release pin and tab that will make it stick in open position that will cause this problem.

I can't find it in the rules. Will this make the engine illegal.

Thanks for the replies.
I tightened the lash to zero to test. Still the same. if I press slightly on rocker, rolls easily.

Could I see the spring with a borescope?

Attachments

• Animal Comp Release.jpg
    Animal Comp Release.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 260
In tech, we've had this very thing happen on raceday. For whatever reason, the component that lifts the exhaust valve normally .030 to .040 when cycling through a start-up process no longer worked. The motor was on a top-5 finishing kart. We reviewed seals, inspected valve train components, then degreed the cam out to make sure all was right. It was, the racer was not DQ'd. Did have a conversation with Briggs on the topic as well, they agreed with the way things were handled.

The spring on the cam release is a pretty thin spring. I have had several of them come undone and even lost 1 or 2 over the last 10 years. Not a big enough problem to get worked up over, but something that does occur. Make sure you have the motor at TDC when pulling over the engine.

FYI I did indeed see the comp release lever with spring unhooked with a borescope. Got out my WF cam and an old sidecover. Fiddled with bending a wire to reach thru oil fill plug to put spring back on. After I got what i wanted, tryed the real thing looking thru borescope thru oil drain plug opposite cam. Spent about 1.5 hours total, but got it hooked back up.

Thanks for the advice and pic. Helped a bunch.

Can pull engine over easily now.

FYI I did indeed see the comp release lever with spring unhooked with a borescope. Got out my WF cam and an old sidecover. Fiddled with bending a wire to reach thru oil fill plug to put spring back on. After I got what i wanted, tryed the real thing looking thru borescope thru oil drain plug opposite cam. Spent about 1.5 hours total, but got it hooked back up.

Thanks for the advice and pic. Helped a bunch.

Can pull engine over easily now.

Awesome, now I know who we can send racers to with flipped springs........lol

A gynecologist had become fed up with malpractice insurance and HMO paperwork,
and was burned out. Hoping to try another career where skillful hands would be
beneficial, he decided to become a mechanic. He went to the local technical
college, signed up for evening classes, attended diligently, and learned all he
could.
When the time of the practical exam approached, the gynecologist prepared
carefully for weeks, and completed the exam with tremendous skill. When the
results came back, he was surprised to find that he had obtained a score of
150%. Fearing an error, he called the Instructor, saying, “I don’t want to
appear ungrateful for such an outstanding result, but I wonder if there is an
error in the grade?”
“The instructor said, “During the exam, you took the engine apart perfectly,
which was worth 50% of the total mark. You put the engine back together again
perfectly, which is also worth 50% of the mark.”
After a pause, the instructor added, “I gave you an extra 50% because you did it
all through the muffler, which I’ve never seen done in my entire career”.

Smile. Have a great day.

Back