LO206 rev limiter

Hi all,

I just got my kart out to the track this past weekend at NCMP with my brand new LO206. Everything felt great on the kart and I am in love with this engine. I spent my whole time at the track chasing my gearing.

My question is, should I be hitting the rev limiter at all down the straight, slightly at the end of the straight, halfway down the straight?

I geared it to not hit at all but get about 50 rpm away from it by the time I was at the end of the straight. I ask this because New Castle has very long straights and I would think slamming the motor onto the rev limiter for that long would not be very good for it.

So what are your thoughts?

Thanks

My opinion/experience only:

For practice by yourself, you will want to just barely hit the rev limiter or be just below it. In a race, with the draft, this will likely put you on it a bit sooner. In my experience it is a fine balance of being able to get off the corner, but not getting on the limiter too soon. It will not hurt the engine to run on the limiter for the amount of time you are talking about (Its electronic cut out, not like floating the valves on your clone). Jimbo can chime in, but I think they lay on the rev limiter for like 500 ft up there on some of the road courses.

That sounds like pretty good advice. I'd just add that it would be a good idea to use your mychron (or a buddy with a stop watch) to see how gearing changes affect your lap times.

Stop watch never lies.

For tighter road courses, you'll be on the rev limiter a lot longer on the straights than you would be on a wide open momentum type track (think oval) where you don't want to hit the rev limiter at all. Alot depends on your corner exit speed and rpm drop.

Like Gary said - wait until you get into the draft and see rpm spike 3-400 rpm higher than what you "thought" you were geared for. :)

--
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

At Road America (used to be the Briggs Motoplex) the fastest way around is to be geared to get through the tight infield and hit the rev-limiter way before the first turn.
Each track is different and it's going to take some laps to figure out the best gear ratio.
Getting the gear right is a lot more important and some what more challenging with a LO 206. Especially if you are new to the LO 206.

You don't "HAVE" to stay on the gas..you can lift a little to keep from hitting the rev limiter. Same goes for "Floating" valve..you dont have to keep on hammering them you can lift a little and be your own rev limiter. Use your mychron 4's graph you can gear from that.

I ran a 206 last season on a dirt oval. I tend to agree with gregp07. I suggest you find gearing that has you hitting limiter 3/4 down the longest straight then lift ever so slightly. This will give you the best acceleration off tight turns and should put you in the ballpark.

My friend won the class at ncmp and told me he was not hitting the limiter at all.

Now there is a racer with some big top end MPH............. I would also bet he had a very fast corner speed chassis set up with a little help from his friend......lol

Steve

We had 23 in CIK and 20 in Senior. I didn't get an exact count, but I believe we had only around 5 clones in each class.

B.J.

Yeah Steve, I may have helped him a bit on setup. He is a great driver though for sure. I gave him advice to ride the rev limiter at about 3/4 of the longest straight (same as jimbo) but he said it was definitely faster staying off of it which was very surprising to me. This technique was definitely preferred in world formula but the 206 might have better bottom end so you dont need to over rev as much.

Yea, Jimmy just picked up his 206 from us last week.
Sounded like he's enjoying the LO206 package already. :)

Watch the lap times drop as guys really start getting the gearing right for the track.

Back