lo206

whats the best air gap for these engines? and is it possible to shift the coil forward or backward even a little bit. if so which was should i shift it?

The change in timing may be insignificant rocking the coil left and right. You would need a degree wheel to know for sure. Rocking the coil to the left will retard the timing, to the right will advance the timing. It would be interesting to find out how much you can rock the coil.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Are you sure you are correct about advance and retard? See bottom of page 6 and top of page 7 on this link - Timing info. This is document about MSD ignitions but the theory is the same as a stock ignition.

I think Al needs to do a 180.
ops, in my head I was looking at the KT 100. You're right, I'm exactly backwards. Sorry about that.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Too 'Advance' timing you rotate the coil/distributor 'into/toward' the rotation and too 'Retard' timing, rotate 'with' the rotation. JMO

Be careful shifting coil to the left and flywheel to the right as this could exceed the Briggs rule set 30 degree timing max spec. Check with timing light to verify.

e. Ignition timing: Maximum of 30 degrees BTDC

LOL -- Al just got healed up -- cut him some slack guys.
Thanks for accepting the correction, Al. :)

Steve, Have you seen any of the 206s advance enough (legally) to go over 30*? Maybe I haven't checked enough of them, but with the stock flywheel key and min. width rule on it, I haven't seen one go over yet. Some are closer on ignition timing that others, but we're talking minimal. I'll put a timing light on an engine that goes on the dyno, but most of the 206 stuff we sell goes right out the door.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian,

The ones we have checked are between 28.5 and 30 and more often closer to 29 to 29.5. Remember to spin the engine at least 2000 RPM to get full advance of the ignition. We actually do this test on the bench, not on the dyno, its just easier for us this way.
We measure all the "M" Series engines ignition timing and this engine uses the same components as the LO206 engine.

Steve

So is there any gain in shift the coil and flywheel within the limits if the holes in the coil? Should be very minimal movement I would think.

So is there any gain in shift the coil and flywheel within the limits if the holes in the coil? Should be very minimal movement I would think.

It is very minimal movement. If I remember correctly from some testing we did awhile ago the HP difference between 29 and 30 degrees timing, it was around 1/2 to 1 tenth HP. Almost not worth messing with for the LO206 program. Driving, chassis and tires will way over shadow ignition timing variations.

Back