Local Option LO206 Noise

KartRacer1234

Hi, I am most likely getting a Briggs and Straton LO206 local option. I was wondering its highest noise level in dB because my local track has a noise limit

Thanks!

It runs the same RLV muffler as most other classes - so it would definitely not be any louder.
I have a decibel meter somewhere in the shop -- next time I run one on the dyno, I can try to get some real numbers for you...then again -- in the dyno cell, you're up close and personal and it's louder than what you'd ever experience at the track. :)
I've got a 206 race-ready package ready to ship right now, and I'll have another one put together by midweek - I should be able to get some numbers to you by then.

----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

It runs the same RLV muffler as most other classes - so it would definitely not be any louder.
I have a decibel meter somewhere in the shop -- next time I run one on the dyno, I can try to get some real numbers for you...then again -- in the dyno cell, you're up close and personal and it's louder than what you'd ever experience at the track. :)
I've got a 206 race-ready package ready to ship right now, and I'll have another one put together by midweek - I should be able to get some numbers to you by then.

----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cuts
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Celebrating 25 years of service to the karting industry
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Thank you sooo much! I just needed too know because that is the only track around for MILES.
Thanks ;)

If you need it to be quieter than the 4104 muffler another option would be to use the WF exhaust pipe and muffler like they use for the WF in Canada.
It has a very stout pipe and brace system and a muffler that looks like a 2 cycle muffler.
I recently sent such an engineexhaust to another racer that was required to use that exhaust at his local track.

What happened to insisting on only using approved LO206 parts, Jim? LOL I am just kidding.
Whatever it takes to keep another race track from closing, I'd try to comply.
I can remember doing all sorts of crazy things with mufflers when having to race in California. 95db rule I think - but that was on 850HP V8 sprint car engines. :)
Ya do whatcha gotta do.

Hi, I am most likely getting a Briggs and Straton LO206 local option. I was wondering its highest noise level in dB because my local track has a noise limit

Thanks!

Atlanta Motorsports Park, AMP, Dawsonville, GA HAS A 95dBA noise limit. This is measured from the center of the track using the A Scale of a sound level meter. The A scale makes the meter respond to sound like the human ear does.

LO206 engines easily meet these noise levels. cb, kart racer since 1958 and an audiologist since 1971..

Where is the noise level going to be measured?
Right next to the exhaust or a specified distance from the muffler?

Where is the noise level going to be measured?
Right next to the exhaust or a specified distance from the muffler?

Jumbo...see my post above..

Noise levels are measured at the center of the track, usually 50 feet away. This is how it is done at most tracks. As sound travels away from its source, it decreases in intensity. One way to control the noise measurements is direct the exhaust away from the sound measuring device.

It is important now a track measures the noise, if they follow protocols used at most tracks, for example, Roebling in GA.

A 95dB Sound at the center of the track would prob be 105dB or higher at the exhaust

Wear hearing protection! c

I'm pretty sure Norway, IL - Concept Haulers Motor Speedway has a noise ordinance as I remember it coming up for the vintage race - White Knuckle Scramble, think it was a 95 dB. The LO206 is much quieter than a McCulloch with a vintage box muffler, and the McCulloch and Benders were allowed to run on the track.

I'm pretty sure Norway, IL - Concept Haulers Motor Speedway has a noise ordinance as I remember it coming up for the vintage race - White Knuckle Scramble, think it was a 95 dB. The LO206 is much quieter than a McCulloch with a vintage box muffler, and the McCulloch and Benders were allowed to run on the track.

Yes sir! I have been the assist race coordinator for the Narnesville Bintage karting event for the past 4 years and the straight exhausts on those vintage engines were not a problem because the Barnesville track has no noise limits!

But the new Atlanta Mororsports Park DOES have the 95 dBA noise limit and we are planning testing there with different vintage two,stroke engines amd muffler systems. AMP runs TAGs, Yamahas and Shifters with chambers, and it is not a problem. I used to run a muffler on my West Bend back in 1958 for indoor races.

Noise is as much a community problem as it is a track problem. AMP has gone out of its way to be a good neighbor.

Once noise levels can be measured, AMP is planning regular vintage karting events in addition to their growing modern karting program....c

Back