Looking for more RPMs

Just ran a 2 day event there and from talking to guys around my pit stall they are running 5200+ Just wondering what I’m doing to not get there.

KartingIMG,

Rule #1 in racing (OK... maybe not the very FIRST rule, but a good one to follow):

- Don't believe anything another racer tells you.

Don't apply too much focus on gear ratio, peak rpm, or any other "setting" as much as you focus on the stopwatch.

Faster lap times win races... a certain gear ratio or clutch slip or peak rpm does not necessarily produces the fastest lap time.

PM

If indeed it is a 1/8 mile and makes good momentum with any grip at all with a 16/62 that gearing would be off, example our small 1/8 but momentum good grip gearing to get 4900 rpm is 17/58, do you know what gearing someone fast in your class is using ?
Is there a standard measurement for track size? Is it inside of the track? Outside of the track? The racing groove?

I can’t seem to get an answer out of anybody about what gear ratio they’re running. If I’m running wrong gear 16/62, and going to 17/58 my right wheel diameter is 11.5, we have to run Hoosier tires Is that going to make a differencis that going to make a difference? Am I running wrong tire size?
I was not at Tuxedo, but I help with a kart that was there. I have seen the tach data. We were not one of the fast ones there, but we finished in the top 10 on Sunday. We had a little higher ratio than you, and peaked a little over 5200. I do not think that we had the best gear, but I think your problem is something other than gear.

I was not at Tuxedo, but I help with a kart that was there. I have seen the tach data. We were not one of the fast ones there, but we finished in the top 10 on Sunday. We had a little higher ratio than you, and peaked a little over 5200. I do not think that we had the best gear, but I think your problem is something other than gear.
Sent you a message DrDave75

The hunt for the perfect ratio!!

One tooth on the axle, if you pick up 100 RPM (or thereabouts) on the top, you're going about the same speed. The advantage being that you pick up a little acceleration off the corners. If you don't pick up the hundred RPM, you're going slower on the top. If you're changing drivers, along with driven, you're going to get lost.

The last place you want to get gearing information from is someone who's never been to your track. My approach would be to keep the same driver and change the axle gear. One tooth at a time.

Do you have a computer, do you have Excel, I have the software you need, for free. By the way, always measure the circumference of your tires.

The hunt for the perfect ratio!!

One tooth on the axle, if you pick up 100 RPM (or thereabouts) on the top, you're going about the same speed. The advantage being that you pick up a little acceleration off the corners. If you don't pick up the hundred RPM, you're going slower on the top. If you're changing drivers, along with driven, you're going to get lost.

The last place you want to get gearing information from is someone who's never been to your track. My approach would be to keep the same driver and change the axle gear. One tooth at a time.

Do you have a computer, do you have Excel, I have the software you need, for free. By the way, always measure the circumference of your tires.
I honestly think I’m going to scale the kart back out and get it to the correct numbers and start out at 16 for the drive and 57ish for the rear and go from there.....

I honestly think I’m going to scale the kart back out and get it to the correct numbers and start out at 16 for the drive and 57ish for the rear and go from there.....
I guess I should add that I didn’t have any acceleration coming out of the corners. It would really bogged on going into corners 2 and 4...So I wasn’t carrying any momentum going into the straightaways

I guess I should add that I didn’t have any acceleration coming out of the corners. It would really bogged on going into corners 2 and 4...So I wasn’t carrying any momentum going into the straightaways
Blogs?? What was the RPM at that point? Bogging coming out of the corner? That sounds like a fuel delivery problem. What's the RPM coming out of the corners? Any chance of doing a compression check, or leak down?

This seems like a good idea . Chasing rpm is not the best method of gaining speed . Chasing tenth's is much better .
A tight kart will cause rpm issue's .

It might be out there somewhere, but I have not seen an advertised size on Tuxedo. Our tach data shows 825 feet in the groove. Would you call that a 1/6th mile? I have always thought of it as bigger than an 1/8th mile.
An 1/8 th would be 660 LF so ya it's bigger, a 1/7 th would be 755 LF, a 1/6 th would be 880 LF, So ya small 1/6th mile, which does no equal a 16 front driver unless it make NO momentum what so ever.

Just stumbled on this.

No where in here has it mentioned we are running Hoosier D20 treads at Tuxedo Park Raceway. The tire combination, along with the gear sensitivity of the predator have made it pretty difficult for many racers. TPR is very low bite (most of the time). What we have found is it's not necessarily that you hit 5200, or whatever, it's where on the track you hit it. If you are relying on the "Mem Recall" for gearing, you may be getting fooled.

I've seen many very good racers struggle with this combination at TPR this year. The combination is new to everyone in the area. I think a lot of people, myself included, thought that the Hoosier meant more grip than a slick. That just hasn't been the case. There are several racers in Kansas that really have it figured out. We are chasing them at this point.

Back