Looking into purchasing a truck. Need some help.

Trying to understand if you wanting something thats cheaper on gas......why are you buying a half ton pickup truck?

Get an old S-10 or a Ford Ranger 4 cyl.

Alright to address all issues
Why do I have the diesel? Got a good deal on it for what it was and I was able to get it all fixed up and do a few mods to it. It is also very useful for the activities I do in a day while not at school, hauling trailers, and helping people with work on there farms. I work at a local farm supply store but in my spare time, I rebuilt dirt bikes and four-wheelers for a profit. This past weekend I sold 2 dirt bikes I was 1600 dollars into for 2400 and I had only like a few days in working on them, So the pickup truck bed helps with that.

Why I don't get a gas-getter and keep the truck... that's exactly what I want to do. But I am under 18 and even though I will be the one buying the gas getter I will still have to have my dad's help with insurance and all of that. Which he is down for. But he says as a high schooler I dont need to be worrying about paying for 2 vehicles fuel and insurance and stuff like that. So I will only be allowed to own 1 vehicle at a time while in high school and I completely understand where he is coming from.

Why I am looking at a half ton, I can still tow more than an S10. Have a little bit bigger bed, still can use it as a pickup.

I would love to buy an S10 or a single cab pickup but most S10s around here arnt crew cabs, 4wd, or they are beaten to heck. I need the 4wd as I get stuck with my Duramax all the time and always have to use 4wd. I also have 2 sisters and I have to provide transportation for them when my parents are at work or something and we are going to school.

Biggest thing for me, halfton is still able to tow, go offroad in the fields to complete daily tasks, can haul a four-wheeler or dirt bikes in the bed, most are extended cabs or crew cabs.
One thing that will suck when going to half-ton is I won't have my turnover ball in the bed which comes in handy in the summer when I do farm work for people.

It is a very tough decision. If I can't get the cash I would like to get out of my Duramax then I will be keeping it. There are many pros and cons. I would keep the diesel for sure if I didn't have to drive that much. The biggest thing for me is when I am at my mom's house she lives about 30 mins away from my school and about 40 mins away from my work. So its a little bit of a drive and I drive back and forth to work as I work Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday. Then I go back to her house. By that time I am about 80 dollars deep in fuel just for those 3 days. Can I afford to drive this truck...100% Yes I can. But its the fact of I am wanting to put aside money and save up till I am older. As I say this it is near summer time which means I can work multiple jobs and get 60 hrs a week of work like I did last summer and start saving a whole bunch. I will continue to keep my truck for sale but unless it sells I won't be getting another vehicle. Also, the pickup I was looking at has sold so I am no longer looking at that one. I appreciate all the info and help from everyone!

Im definitely onboard with a half ton . Max . The S10 i had was no gas saver neither was Austin's ford ranger .
Fuel savings though are gonna be tough except the price of gas vs diesel . You know the loud pedal pretty much controls the fuel mpg . ;)

Im definitely onboard with a half ton . Max . The S10 i had was no gas saver neither was Austin's ford ranger .
Fuel savings though are gonna be tough except the price of gas vs diesel . You know the loud pedal pretty much controls the fuel mpg . ;)
Yes thats so true. I average around 18 highway. 12.5-14.5 in town depending on how I am driving. My biggest thing on it is just price of fuel. I could get 20mpg on highway with a gas pickup. Might not be much more than my diesel but the price difference is big.

You also have to consider your current and anticipated use(s). I run a 3/4 ton diesel pickup because, depending on which race car I am hauling, the trailer weights range from 4000lbs, which most any pickup can haul, to 11,500 lbs, and it hauls either weight effortlessly. When I bought it, 16 years ago, no half tons would haul a trailer that was 11,500+lbs, and the diesel hauls it without even breathing hard; 18.5-21mpg on the highway, 15.5-16.5mpg around town unless traffic is really bad, 9.8-11.2 hauling either trailer, and you notice a decrease in mileage if you have a headwind while hauling a trailer, lol. Just choose a pickup with a weight capacity suited to your worst case task. I like my diesel because of the big torque (650ft/lbs, lots more for a newer one), as it makes trailer towing a breeze. The current difference in the cost of fuel between gas and diesel is an annoyance, but I forget about that whenever I hook up the heavy trailer and use that big torque. Plus, with a new fuel pump in 20K miles or so, it will last me the rest of my life - at 97,500 miles, it's just broken in. :)

Power is so nice for when towing trailers. I have no clue on what weight I have towed before but the last time I towed it was a 28ft enclosed ATC trailer with a drag car and a big tool box and some other stuff. Honesty maybe 9500 pounds if that. You didn't even notice it was back there till you tried to stop...brakes were messed up on the trailer. Its nice to be able to hook up to a trailer and not worry about it. I think I am gonna end up keeping the pickup. Its got some mud tires on it right now which is what came on the wheels I bought for it. I am gonna put some all terrains on there next that arnt as tall. That will help with milage. Keep my foot out of it. And have a different tune put in it. Its got a tune in it that I have no clue what it is so I may have a light to tune put in it thats better on economy and stuff because I dont need the tune to be as fast as the one thats in it.

(y). I doubt you'd be happy with another trk . Especially if your pulling farm equipment . Or a drag car . Spending 2-3 grand and trading off the trk . Just to save 800$ a year really doesn't add up . Throwing 100$ of fuel in hurts no doubt . Minimize your miles, have the girl friend drive , park the trk . Use the family vehicle, free fuel , you ride you pay ...

(y). I doubt you'd be happy with another trk . Especially if your pulling farm equipment . Or a drag car . Spending 2-3 grand and trading off the trk . Just to save 800$ a year really doesn't add up . Throwing 100$ of fuel in hurts no doubt . Minimize your miles, have the girl friend drive , park the trk . Use the family vehicle, free fuel , you ride you pay ...
Agreed! My biggest thing also is I have done so much to it and I dont want to get rid of it.
I am gonna stop spening alot of money on it to mod it and just drive it now
I put a cold air intake, aftermarket wheels and tires, turbo hotside and cold side piping, maintanced everything, 4 inch straight pipe, bigger passenger side turbo upipe, 3inch down pipe, new radio, lift pump, aftermarket lighting and stuff. I am gonna stop modifying it and just drive it. Keep my foot out of the throttle and try and reduce driving as much as possible. Also getting rid of the 33inch mud tires would help too when they are worn down.

Power is so nice for when towing trailers. I have no clue on what weight I have towed before but the last time I towed it was a 28ft enclosed ATC trailer with a drag car and a big tool box and some other stuff. Honesty maybe 9500 pounds if that. You didn't even notice it was back there till you tried to stop...brakes were messed up on the trailer. Its nice to be able to hook up to a trailer and not worry about it. I think I am gonna end up keeping the pickup. Its got some mud tires on it right now which is what came on the wheels I bought for it. I am gonna put some all terrains on there next that arnt as tall. That will help with milage. Keep my foot out of it. And have a different tune put in it. Its got a tune in it that I have no clue what it is so I may have a light to tune put in it thats better on economy and stuff because I dont need the tune to be as fast as the one thats in it.
If you really want better milage with fuel economy forget the all terrains and put on highway tires or all season tires.

Back