ltd mod animal wont fire

finally decided to do a full tear down, dot on the cam gear lines up to dot on camshaft, didn't pull the piston out, but as much of the lower end of the piston skirt as I could see, looks pretty scarred, now I think its just simply a case of cylinder components wore out, enough compression to feel it when it turns over, but not enough compression for it to start and rev up....???? its got maybe 9-10 races on it since last refreshen....

Me i think you should put side cover back on .
Check the compression with a gauge .
Time it .
Start - then decide.

Cam gear has no control over piston position or ignition timing .
Sound like its a 5hp crank .
Did it orginally have a key .
Lap the flywheel and set the ignition timing and torque in place .
we have got to the bottom of this issue....finally, I took the motor to a friend who is a little more knowledgeable about motor things than I am....yes, it is a briggs 5hp crankshaft, I cant recall when I took it off originally if it was keyed or not, but now that I know it doesn't have a stock briggs animal crank,, it couldn't have had a key in it for it to be timed properly, with the key in the keyway on the crank with the flathead 5hp crank in it, the timing was off approx. 90 degrees give or take...a big learning experience for me...thank you all for offering your insight and advice, this is a great example of the worth Bobs4cycle.com forums...a chance for racers like me who know very little to come and get the knowledge needed to handle issues in karting.... :)

My rule of thumb; if it's getting gas, and it's got compression, and it's getting spark, @ the spark plug (very important, at the right time) it has to run, no way around it. Add to that, for 4 cycles, I'm assuming the camshaft was installed correctly. Not that hard to check.

Al
That covers lots of situations but if the exhaust valve isn't opening (for whatever reason) (bent push rod, broken rocker arm, worn cam lobe) it will have plenty of fuel, compression and spark at the correct time but won't run.
A plugged exhaust from a mouse nest, a plugged catalytic converter, or a potato in the exhaust pipe are all things that will cause a no start.

I have seen where some one turned the fuel screw in on a flatty .
Thats why you never want to leave the kart unattended on the grid or at minimum covered up .
Some one sticks a potato in my pipe we got problems :D

Back