ltd mod animal wont fire

Quick timing check would be pistion 1/4 -3/8 inch before tdc the magnets should be at the coil firing point . If its off 90* or 180* something is definatly wrong .

stock crankshaft, the coil is a PVL part #791-994, the flywheel I got that I'm trying to figure out is an ARC 6616, which Arc describes as for "Briggs Animal PVL"...they also have an ARC 6606, which is described as being for Briggs Animal Gen 1.....maybe the 6616 isn't the right one and I need the 6606? how does one determine what gen animal they have? as a sidenote, one of the reasons why the animal never took off, B&S stepped on their dicks by offering so many different generation animals, non-engine gurus like me don't really know what weve got or what we need....
Need to be sure to have pvl coil on pvl flywheel.

Also, simple check.
Remove spark plug. Insert dowel, (or whatever non marring rod you like) rotate crank in normal running direction to top dead center.
The magnets should have passed completely by the coil legs.
Check to be sure they are the magnets, and not the balancing counterweights(non magnetic).

motor has been sitting since early spring, parked it in victory lane last time i ran it, only thing ive done different is I pulled the stock pvl flywheel off and replaced it with an adjustable timing ARC billet flywheel for a little upgrade...I'm gonna put the stock flywheel back on and see if it will fire with that, if it does, well, then I spent $200 for nothing more than small boat anchor, if it still wont, then I'm gonna have take a looksee inside the motor itself...damn, this crap gets frustrating some times...makes me want to stick with running my 2cycles....
Not sure what you think you upgraded, except to Arc's version of a pvl flywheel. If you did not check timing with a degree wheel, you just bought parts. (hype).

The 2 stroke world is no different.

Knowledge is power.
Education is expensive.

slowly but surely trying to put better parts and pieces in it...its entirely a hobby for me, I enjoy the chase and building and putting it all together...an expensive hobby yes, but a hobby none the less...long term goal is to build it up to a full blown open stroker maybe soon....:cool:

slowly but surely trying to put better parts and pieces in it...its entirely a hobby for me, I enjoy the chase and building and putting it all together...an expensive hobby yes, but a hobby none the less...long term goal is to build it up to a full blown open stroker maybe soon....:cool:
Not trying to be mean,
The devil is in the details.

You will get there. Just step up and get it done.

not being mean at all, I appreciate yours and everyones insight and experience and willingness to share it....:) ive got a sudam 131 that ive ran a few times this summer, I'm tossing around the idea to make it a full blown stroker as well, though with it not being that yet, its giving me the best ride of my time in karting....cant even imagine it with even more power....:giggle:

HUH??
Briggs has continuously improved the block. I think that's a good thing.
Just like computers if if you want a Radio Shack computer or a Widows 98 or older you're welcome to it.
How many variations of clone heads and blocks are there?
Even though i love seeing a Model "A" i'd never consider having one as my daily driver. I'd much rather have something with an LT- 4 engine.
I think everything has become more specialized these days and you need to study and know what you are doing of you can very easily make some serious mistakes.

HUH??
Briggs has continuously improved the block. I think that's a good thing.
Just like computers if if you want a Radio Shack computer or a Widows 98 or older you're welcome to it.
How many variations of clone heads and blocks are there?
Even though i love seeing a Model "A" i'd never consider having one as my daily driver. I'd much rather have something with an LT- 4 engine.
I think everything has become more specialized these days and you need to study and know what you are doing of you can very easily make some serious mistakes.
trying not to get too far off the purpose of this thread....but.....from a hobby racers standpoint....how does it do karting any good for briggs to put out animal gen1, you spend x number of dollars for gen1, suddenly before you even get enough laps on it that it needs a freshen, briggs puts out gen2 animal, youre scratching your head trying to figure out if gen2 is better and why you spent x dollars for gen1, suddently before you get that issue figured out, briggs gen3 animal comes out on the market, joe pro racer, who always has the very best stuff, shows up with a gen3 motor on his kart and smokes the field, leaving the rest wondering if gen1 and gen2 are that inferior and where the moneys gonna come from to upgrade to gen3, or to just throw the towel in and quit......ive seen way more do the last option than keep putting more and more money into kart engines just so they can feel like they are at the least, TRYING to keep up.....(its not just briggs, insert clone or predator anywhere into previous comments where briggs is)...in my view point, this NOT good for kart counts and ongoing participation levels, but I'm gonna assume your a builder, so its probably GOOD from your standpoint....

ok, back to the matter at hand, I had some time this afternoon to start looking at things a lot closer, with a stock key in it, the magnets are past what would be the first "leg" of the coil with the piston at TDC, almost at 11o'clock if you will, that's with the adjustable flywheel center set with the mark on it lining up with the - mark on the flywheel itself, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the first leg of the coil be slightly before or close to the first edge of the magnets when the motor is at TDC? if so, then the keyway and/or marks for setting timing on the center section on this particular flywheel are not correct....:unsure:

Last edited:
ok, back to the matter at hand, I had some time this afternoon to start looking at things a lot closer, with a stock key in it, the magnets are past what would be the first "leg" of the coil with the piston at TDC, almost at 11o'clock if you will, that's with the adjustable flywheel center set with the mark on it lining up with the - mark on the flywheel itself, correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the first leg of the coil be slightly before or close to the first edge of the magnets when the motor is at TDC? if so, then the keyway and/or marks for setting timing on the center section on this particular flywheel are not correct....:unsure:
http://www.fastermotors.net/PVLTIMINGPOIMTandTIMINGCURVE.html
Jimbo has some great info on his site.

Keep in mind, ignition needs to start before TDC to take advantage of the time it takes to start making pressure in the cylinder for power stroke.

Sounds like a degree wheel is in order .
Compared to the original flywheel do the magnets and keyways , seem to be in the correct locations ?
Possibly the hub is rotated 33 degrees .

Here's where the coil fires when the engine is running.
1567096674608.png

Considering the animal is almost 20 years old I'm not surprised they updated as little as they did. They're on gen 5 and I doubt you have a first gen. It's probably a 4 or 3.

nice lengthy post on fb from tillotson carbs basically blasting briggs for them "trying" to ram their product (intek-206-animal) down kart racers throats and their business models not putting kart racers best interests at the front....

Briggs and Stratton has done more for kart racing than any other engine manufacturer. Please tell me how much harbor freight has contributed aside from causing a million and one classes....

nice lengthy post on fb from tillotson carbs basically blasting briggs for them "trying" to ram their product (intek-206-animal) down kart racers throats and their business models not putting kart racers best interests at the front....
There is always two side to every story , but basically thats it .
Evryone had flattys , they pushed the animal at 1500.00 plus .
Along comes a 99.00 engine .

Yea China is our friend just like Russia and you can fill in the rest.
The Animal engine was way less that $400.00. I seem to remember $325.00.
WKA and other greedy people made a rule set that caused the price to go up. NOT BRIGGS
A professionally built clone will cost you $1500.00. A far cry from a $99.00 piece of crap.

Briggs wanted to control the rules and originally required a Drum clutch and stock rod.

If you want a bargain and consistent rules you can't beat a LO 206. Briggs builds them and also writes the rules.

I wish we all drove a flat head model "A"

Last edited:
I'm not on either side of the argument, as I am about as far away from knowing the people involved and the topics being debated as one could possibly be...got the new starter and battery tonight, too late to try to fire up the ltd mod animal I'm having issues with, maybe sometime tomorrow morning...sincerely hoping ive got the thing figured out.... :cool:

ok, I switched out the adj timing arc billet flywheel with a stock animal pvl flywheel with a stock key, reset the coil gap to .040, put a new plug in it, took apart carb for a 2nd time and cleaned it all out, put everything back together, put the starter on it, let it spin, still no fire. pulled the valve cover, rotated the motor so the piston was at TDC, and I look at the flywheel, and the magnets are not even close to the coil (magnets are at about 4oclock position)....so, now I wonder, could the cam gear on the end of crankshaft have spun out of its proper position? is the cam gear pressed on? lapped on? or keyed, or any combination of the three, on the end of the crank?

btw- have a 2nd very mild ltd mod animal, put the adj timing flywheel on it and it started right up and roars like a lion...:)

Last edited:
Cam gear has no control over piston position or ignition timing .
Sound like its a 5hp crank .
Did it orginally have a key .
Lap the flywheel and set the ignition timing and torque in place .

Back