McCullochs

All the MaC's I've seen over the yrs., makes me cry after seeing at big races in Pa. after their popularity fell, tables with 10-20 of those engines for sale...

Jack, I know you ran Mac's for quite sometime, what was truly the demise of them and the other fan cooled motors? I hear is was the simplicity of rebuilds on the kt's but in shoving the Mac's off the cliff for the kt a whole new chassis design had to be invented which now tossed all the rear fan cooled motor chassis over the cliff with the Mac motors! I spent time at the races in 62-64 and do not recall the crash rate being an issue with open wheeled chassis, very few were equipped with side bars, f/r bumbers yes, but still the racers ran to the kt and the sidewinder chassis leaving the fore runners of the sport to comform or head for the cliff too?? Can an out of the box kt on a sidewinder get arouind the race track any faster than the same well tuned fan cooled set up...maybe, but my thinking is not like a vw compared to a ferrari time wise.

Tom, hard to tel, first because the MaC's get a huge weight break running against the kt's, and also the fact that I have been told that there were MaC cranks that had a .020" longer stroke, but to really wake up a MaC, use an old Hartman 200 pipe with no flex. and it will amaze you. I also guess that after the MC-93, the orig. Co. might have been bought out and ruined by the buyer.l

When McCullough sold the company, about the same time that the KT100 came out, the new company stop making the karting engines.
Is it any wonder, IKF had a limit in price on the 100 CC Mac engine. $100. When Horseman talked the new company into making a kart engine, the new retail price was over $500. And the new engine had a compression release. The KT, new, out-of-the-box, was about $350. Is it any wonder the McCullough went the way of the wild goose? (An old song, "I don't know where the wild goose goes." I'm showing my age) and the KT class specified gas only. And low and behold, the water test, for detecting alcohol, was discovered. If we had had that test, and made the McCullough a gas only class, karting might have been a much more popular thing to do. I can't tell you how many Macs I stuck trying to run hundred percent alky. It was not something the newcomer learned easily.

When McCullough sold the company, about the same time that the KT100 came out, the new company stop making the karting engines.
Is it any wonder, IKF had a limit in price on the 100 CC Mac engine. $100. When Horseman talked the new company into making a kart engine, the new retail price was over $500. And the new engine had a compression release. The KT, new, out-of-the-box, was about $350. Is it any wonder the McCullough went the way of the wild goose? (An old song, "I don't know where the wild goose goes." I'm showing my age) and the KT class specified gas only. And low and behold, the water test, for detecting alcohol, was discovered. If we had had that test, and made the McCullough a gas only class, karting might have been a much more popular thing to do. I can't tell you how many Macs I stuck trying to run hundred percent alky. It was not something the newcomer learned easily.

Not to forget McCulloch's sale to Black & Decker really worked wonders.:rolleyes: -Alan-

What ever happened to the reintroduction of the Mac engine from 8-10 years ago? I had a brand new Mac 93 still in the original box with all the original paperwork and was contacted by someone from McCulloch as to what paperwork they came with because they were going to start producing them again and wanted copies of the paperwork. there was some internet talk about it but I don't think it ever happened

I'm glad they made so many engines because we have them today for Vintage racing. It was fun at the RIGP when 26 of us showed up, mostly with McCullochs. We had the nicest comments from modern racers. This year we will be there with our duals.

A buddy of mine just handed me 2 100cc Macs, built from NOS parts, a 91B, and a 91B1, to sell for him.
Almost got one listed on eBay before seeing that they were put together put together poorly.
Now I'm in one of those 'buddy' situations that I have to go through them first......

Back