Mid race push help?

94sdad

Was running pretty good tonight,then in the middle of a 15 lap race the kart developed a pretty bad push. What would cause a kart to go from good to bad within a lap or 2?

Tires left ya, now big question why were they just to soft in general and if so to much internal prep, to much external, or Both, wrong compound, or a set-up issue Balance is wrong causing something like an over worked RR.

We can only run Burris tires at this track 33a or b33. No internal prep has been used on them. Our problem early was being loose. Got it under control then the opposite happened. Very disappointed to go 6th to 2nd and gaining then back to 4th. Think we got 3rd.

I'd say one of the two things happened. Not enough prep in the tires..... Or too much prep and they went away.... Without much info on what you used and what you did to them anyone's guess is a solution....

Most dont realize how much a track changes between heats and feature, if your loose in the heat everybody runs in and tightens everything up and slops the prep on then they go in the feature locked down or pushing. you need to watch the track to see how it rubbers up and how hard it gets before you make too many changes especially drastic changes. jmo

I see your from Knoxville I am assuming you raced at Dumplin last night. For some reason my kart did same exact thing. The track did pick up some speed I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I am dumb founded about last night at Dumplin that place changes more than any other place I have ever been.

You know that I don't raced dirt, never have, but sometimes I get ideas that I like to share.

Is it possible, that as the race went on, the bite got better and your LR got more grip. Maybe, when the tire was cold, and the bite wasn't as good, the LR tire was sliding. As it got hotter, from all the sliding, and the track started biting better, and your stagger is off, the kart started pushing.

On the other side, as the track got better, the RF could have changed and wasn't biting as good as it did earlier in the race. As the track got better, maybe it was leaning over too much and losing bite.

If these suggestions don't make sense, just ignore them. Consider the source.

Thanks for the reply everyone. Yes we were at Dumplin Valley last night. Ran good in the heat and half the feature then it would not turn about 7 or 8 laps into it. Maybe too much prep . We were running the 425 race with one other guy then he decided not to run the feature in that class and only run the 400 lb feature. They let us start in the back of that class giving up 40 pounds so that we could run a feature with others. Their was a delay between when we were supposed to go on the track and when we actually raced, so we put more prep on when we finally raced. Guess it was a bad idea.

Thanks for the reply everyone. Yes we were at Dumplin Valley last night. Ran good in the heat and half the feature then it would not turn about 7 or 8 laps into it. Maybe too much prep . We were running the 425 race with one other guy then he decided not to run the feature in that class and only run the 400 lb feature. They let us start in the back of that class giving up 40 pounds so that we could run a feature with others. Their was a delay between when we were supposed to go on the track and when we actually raced, so we put more prep on when we finally raced. Guess it was a bad idea.

Were you on 33a's or 33b's ?

We were on 33a's. That was the first time this has ever happened to us. The only thing that I can think of is the second coat of prep after we got delayed going on the track. We were rolling pretty good till about lap 9 of the 15 lap feature.

We were on 33a's. That was the first time this has ever happened to us. The only thing that I can think of is the second coat of prep after we got delayed going on the track. We were rolling pretty good till about lap 9 of the 15 lap feature.

Well Curtis is correct it's one of two things to much or to little either your tire or your prep left ya, next time check air pressure gain as soon as ya come off IF the tire left ya gains will be higher especially if you over worked the RR.

I never check tire pressures after the race if the karts fast and working I don't care what the pressures are after I finish. Since you're on 33's and fast at the beginning of the race I'm willing to bet your prep choice was the right one. As the race went on your tires gained heat, your tires and the track gained more bite. As this happened you discovered you have a chassis set up issue you had not noticed before. Most tracks get much better for the features than what they are for the heats, also features are more laps than the heats which is why you may not have noticed your kart overworking a tire during the heats.

Makes sense . Any ideas what chassis change might prevent this in the future. It was shocking how fast it went from good to bad.

We're the tires showing signs of any type of wear?

My recommendation is to Go to a tad bit harder tire for the main but wipe an aggressive prep right before heading to the staging lane. I wouldn't change anything else.

Back