Mini gear issues / questions

Kodyglynn

I’m looking for some advice. I recently went to PMI mini gears and instantly seemed like I had a gear bound issues. Lost acceleration and just seems like it’s bound up. I’m not sure what the issue is. I went to a shorter chain (120 to around 108 currently). Did not change anything else besides went to a mini gear set up. 2023 kart everything is fresh.

Anyone else had this issue or does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
I’m looking for some advice. I recently went to PMI mini gears and instantly seemed like I had a gear bound issues. Lost acceleration and just seems like it’s bound up. I’m not sure what the issue is. I went to a shorter chain (120 to around 108 currently). Did not change anything else besides went to a mini gear set up. 2023 kart everything is fresh.
What gearing did you use with the mini ?
What gearing did you use in the past with Regular gears ?
Did you notice your rpm drops in the turns with the mini gears ? If so by chance we're the considerably lower ?

What gearing did you use with the mini ?
What gearing did you use in the past with Regular gears ?
Did you notice your rpm drops in the turns with the mini gears ? If so by chance we're the considerably lower ?
14/62-63 standard gear
12/53-54 mini gear
I’ll have to compare the RPM drops from different runs, but def feels boggy and like it doesn’t want to build the RPM’s as quick with the mini. At first I thought it was clutch but I swapped clutches even tho the one I was running was fresh and Still same results.

14/62-63 standard gear
12/53-54 mini gear
I’ll have to compare the RPM drops from different runs, but def feels boggy and like it doesn’t want to build the RPM’s as quick with the mini. At first I thought it was clutch but I swapped clutches even tho the one I was running was fresh and Still same results.
If you weren't gearbound with the 14 driver shouldn't be with the 12 driver, what size track ? Momentum or lift ?

If you weren't gearbound with the 14 driver shouldn't be with the 12 driver, what size track ? Momentum or lift ?
Yeah that’s kind of my point. Really had the same results or feel on a short track and longer track. So really one of each. Considering going back to standard gears if I can’t figure it out. Not sure if chain length plays a factor or not. Only two outings on the mini set up.

14/62-63 standard gear
12/53-54 mini gear
We made the change this year also, have been successful so far. You coulda tried a 12/53-54 with standard gears. In your case I woulda went to a 10 or 11 tooth driver. Like a 10/43 or 11/48.

Do you typically find you are a lower ratio with the mini gear? Or are on the same ratio just able to get up to speed quicker?

We made the change this year also, have been successful so far. You coulda tried a 12/53-54 with standard gears. In your case I woulda went to a 10 or 11 tooth driver. Like a 10/43 or 11/48.
Yeah I’m not sure what my issue is. Just feels like a dog. Are y’all running the same chain lengths or did y’all go to 106?

Yeah I’m not sure what my issue is. Just feels like a dog. Are y’all running the same chain lengths or did y’all go to 106?
Different chain lengths on both karts, has been like that for years. I honestly never counted the links, I start with 120s and take out what I need.

Different chain lengths on both karts, has been like that for years. I honestly never counted the links, I start with 120s and take out what I need.
Same! Guess I’ll keep working with it and see if I can get it figured out.

Same! Guess I’ll keep working with it and see if I can get it figured out.
Just a thought the chains not jumping up on the driver teeth or rear gear causing a tight spot, or doesn't just have a tight spot somewhere, or your rear axle shifting since gear hub change, or break dragging by chance

I've switched mine to the minis and had great results. I did notice the first time out that the smaller drivers seem to like to have the chain tighter than what you can get away with on the larger drivers.

Just a thought the chains not jumping up on the driver teeth or rear gear causing a tight spot, or doesn't just have a tight spot somewhere, or your rear axle shifting since gear hub change, or break dragging by chance
Man I’ve went through all that, those were my first thoughts then I swapped clutches and even swapped to different engine. Still the same feel.

14/62-63 standard gear
12/53-54 mini gear
I tried them a couple years ago and had the same issues u having .. I think that’s y u see so many on here for sale .. but also have thought about trying them again .. if I did like in your case 14/62-63 standard to 12/53-54 i would try 12/45-46 maybe 44 and stick to no matter what and see what kind of Rpm’s u build when the track is good .. I’m my case I think we were panicking early and stacking gear on the back and by the time the track came in we missed it .. if u try the ratio game with it it’s not gonna work .. bc imo it’s way different

I tried them a couple years ago and had the same issues u having .. I think that’s y u see so many on here for sale .. but also have thought about trying them again .. if I did like in your case 14/62-63 standard to 12/53-54 i would try 12/45-46 maybe 44 and stick to no matter what and see what kind of Rpm’s u build when the track is good .. I’m my case I think we were panicking early and stacking gear on the back and by the time the track came in we missed it .. if u try the ratio game with it it’s not gonna work .. bc imo it’s way different
I could see dropping to a 48 one time at the end of the night just as a test run to see how much of a difference it made, and prove he's not big time gear bound now with the 14/62,63, I agree don't worry about playing the ratio game but the sweet spot would never be that far off, We have to many guy's switching to the mini's and been on the mini's around here that hit me up for starting points one VS the other, and have never been off more that 1 or 2 teeth from what we figured, If he's indeed spot on with the 14/62 he should be spot on with a 12/53.5 so pick one or the other 53, or 54, so even if that would end up being off by 2 that still leaves him with a 51 rear, Yes I agree it's different but also have been around both enough to know it's not that different , even a track that most races are night races, then they have a day race properly prepared with calcium and it gets extremely faster , that's only a change of 1 bigger front driver or remove 4 from rear. WHY point this out simple most guy's don't have access to a dirt track where they can just go test, he'd soon waste 3 events testing.

I’m really at a loss to be honest. The first outing I thought maybe I was having engine issues as I just had the valve springs changed and thought maybe the lash was to tight. Checked it and it was right. Then went on to maybe it was clutch even tho it only had a few nights on a fresh clutch. Changed it to another fresh clutch same feel just bound up. Next weekend I changed engines and still same feel.

I couldn’t get them to work for us went as far as putting together another axel with the mini set up .. as soon as we take that axel out and go back to our standard set up automatically picks up 3-4 tenths..and can see the difference in roll speed maybe bc the way we work our tires and takes more momentum to free the kart up ? been a real head scratcher .. I can run 53/54 on the standard axel ( I don’t bc that’s as low as I can go

Back