Motor cutting out in the turns?

TMorris35

My motor cuts out going into the turn and then comes back to life at the apex or a little after. I can put a new diaphragm in it and it makes it go away for about a feature race or two and then it's right back. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

? if it cuts out how does it start back without cranking it ................maybe you loss power while on the banking and gets going on the flat ......check the pick up in the tank ............
me and my dumm ideas.....

ive put 2-3 carb to tank gaskets on to keep the pick up tubes from touching the bottom of the tank so the carb doesnt lose pickup and so they dont pickup any dirt or debris floating in the bottom of the tank. some have said to bend the tubes a little so they are at an angle inside the tank. also want to check the little screens in the end off the pickup tubes, they will get clogged from that same dirt and debris.

spin

I don't fill it slam up. Just where I can feel it up on my finger a little. On a short track I haven't ran out that way yet.

ive put 2-3 carb to tank gaskets on to keep the pick up tubes from touching the bottom of the tank so the carb doesnt lose pickup and so they dont pickup any dirt or debris floating in the bottom of the tank. some have said to bend the tubes a little so they are at an angle inside the tank. also want to check the little screens in the end off the pickup tubes, they will get clogged from that same dirt and debris.

spin

I've got 2 on it now maybe the third one will be the charm. Ive heard the fuel will swell the pickup tubes and push them down to the bottom of the tank. When that happens should I put new tubes on it or can you even get those? I know some parts are hard to get. 2nd flathead I've ever owned came with a kart and nobody hits on it when I try to sell it so I'll just keep running it.

good thought, over filling the tank with fuel leaves no room for air, air is needed for the vacuum process of getting the fuel out of the tank and into the carb.

spin
It is my understanding that atmospheric pressure pushes the fuel to the pump or carb...is this not so?

It is my understanding that atmospheric pressure pushes the fuel to the pump or carb...is this not so?
i dont know, but try to dump fuel out of a full gas can without a vent hole, very slow and intermittent, apply that thought to a kart engine that wants to sputter and die periodically.....

i dont know, but try to dump fuel out of a full gas can without a vent hole, very slow and intermittent, apply that thought to a kart engine that wants to sputter and die periodically.....

Doesn't the cap has a vent hole ?

happy cap is needed if you're filling it all the way up.. the insert will help if you are in heavy G turns as the fuel will slop out of the small bowl.. the insert simply cuts down the size of the overflow slot in the bowl.

personally I put them in every engine I built. cheap insurane.

simple solution is to not fill it over the fuel tank line(seam)

one other possibility is you're too rich on jet... engine will lay down at the end of the straight

I had this problem tried to get rid of this problem searched for a few weeks come to find out it was my happy cap not venting well and it was new cap changed out my cap to an old one ran great.

its your jet size! put a smaller jet in the carb. or turn your needle in. its that simple!

Andy Keller
Keller Performance Center

Back