Motul Oil

sundog

Which Motul oil is the top of the line full synthetic for kart racing engines on gas like the clone and LO206?

300V 0w20
300V 4T 5w30
5100 5w30
7100 4T 10w40
Power jet 4T 10w40

Thanks,
Sundog

I cleared out the garbage. Folks need to quit getting their noses out of joint over the small stuff.

On karting oil, the consensus of people a lot smarter than I am is that 20w is the sweet spot.
On a 0w20, the 0 part doesn't mean much because that's the oils characteristics when it's cold (like below freezing cold), the 20 is the number to look for.

I cleared out the garbage. Folks need to quit getting their noses out of joint over the small stuff.

On karting oil, the consensus of people a lot smarter than I am is that 20w is the sweet spot.
On a 0w20, the 0 part doesn't mean much because that's the oils characteristics when it's cold (like below freezing cold), the 20 is the number to look for.

That's right on Bob.
My Viscometer measures an oils thickness in Saybolt Seconds.
As a point of reference: FHS Lighting Stock is 170 SS. 0W20 Mobil 1 is 170 SS. Most 5W30 Synthetic is 210 SS. 30W Motor Oil is 450 SS. 50W VR1 Valvoline is 1200 SS.
So that gives you a wide look at the viscosity of many of the oils we use in karts and our automobiles.
Best, WP

You have a Viscometer? That's awesome dude! How thick is Mobil 1 with 20% MMO? I'm guessing it would be thinner.

Marvel Mystery Oil is very light; 55 Saybolt Seconds.
Another little point of interest. Gear oil or grease class is different. 75W90 Mobil 1 will be 450 SS. Just for reference, synthetic oils / greases are usually about half the weight of mineral oils. Example; 75W90 mineral gear oil will be 850 to 900 SS. Same with motor oils. Now you have to be careful running very light oil and mixing. Film strength will suffer. Now Jamie,,ah,,well,,ah,,I must confess, we also have a Faylax machine. You know the bearing metal to metal test for a lubricants film strength. Alabama red neck technology, I degreed the cams in a friends motorcycle and he gave it to me.

John at FHS once sent us 6 quarts of various oils, old and new tech. It took all day, 10 hours to test, viscosity, film strenght and run on the dyno. About a month later he sent us 24 quarts,,Ha Ha Ha,, and I had to decline. That was about 1998 ? when they were about to release the very first Dominator oil with the extra PTFE additive. I will say this. If we ever got back into karting we would use FHS, good stuff.
My advise: Choose an oil that is readily available, your engine builder recommends, and shows good ware inside your engines. And BTW, you don't have to change as much as you think.
Jamie, great to see your still on here, I'll try to remember to keep you informed. Now, what have YOU been holding back ? LOL
Best, WP

Back